VIA + AMD = AWESOME

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

so im a dumb piece of [-peep-] because i dont believe everything you say?? you can rant and rave about via for as long as youve still got a keyboard and one free hand, but the fact remains that i have a beautifully fast and stable chipset. nothing you say will change that fact. and its not an opinion, its a FACT because i see it every day as i run about 5 trillion apps at once and the system goes like a champ. i dont know if youve ever even used a computer with a via chipset before.

incidentally, my flatmate with a p3 600 has always had an unstable computer. of course since he's using the 440BX chipset you intel wannabes will all shriek in unison "ITS A SOFTWARE ISSUE!!" but if any amd user has a problem.....thats right......... "ITS VIA!!!!"...so wtf is up with that???

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: cape does not enable user to fly.

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Hi,
That's cool. Im thinking of AMD and VIA(I wish I could get better chipset soon).
what case and heatsinkfan are you using ?
where did you get them?

G

case?? god knows what case. some nameless full tower case. ah here it is - Avance. whoever the hell they are.

im using a fop38 with arctic silver. damn i love the fop38. i think i'm the only person in the world that doesnt get pissed off with the noise level. it doesnt bother me at all. sometimes i sleep in the same room as it and it doesnt stop me from getting to sleep at all, as far as i know, im the only person in the world who can do that :)

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: cape does not enable user to fly.

G

older and senile is more believeable

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

G

I have a new case, but realized after buying a fancier custom case, that you might as well buy a little piece of crap and hack it apart with fans sticking out of it :) no, but seriously, if you plan on getting a mid-tower and need some help on a case design let me know... I payed 75 for this guy including shipping (most cases cost 20 to ship, this one cost 5 :O)... but if you buy a somewhat cheap case, with a 300 watt power supply, stick a large intake fan in the front bottom, an outtake in the back, along with the power supply outtaking, and a 120mm fan on the top of the case sucking all the hot air out... you may actually want to leave open one of your slots in the front, since it will be sucking so much air through... MUHAHA :)

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Hi,
I never heard of a case to use that much fans like yours.If it needs so many fans and as much noise, I am willing to pay more for faster cpu than overclocking slower one to keep the peace of mind for years.

I am thinking of Thermaltake Volcano II heatsink&fan(more poweful and quieter than FOP-32) with Athlon(palomino)900Mhz(OC to 1100) in Enlight Midtower 300W case(Englight makes AMD recommended powersupplys). What do you think?

I want to know if my choices are ok or just hope it will be ok. Enlight case seemed good in a review. It just worries me that its front panel doesn't look to have enough holes for air flow. I read ENLIGHT case needs rails in its drive bays, do you know what it means?

G

It is typical for overclocking, if you don't want to deal with heat issues, make sure your fans are set up well.... I am overclocking my cpu 300 mhz, and my video card 50 mhz.. I just want a cool case to promote the life of my system :) and anyway, a normal AThlon system should have a good amount of fans, etc also... most cases have a 80mm fan in the front, one in the back and one in the power supply, that is usually enough :)

G

surprised you guys all use so many fans. I have 3 systems
( pentium pro 200, athlon classic 600, and duron 700 OC'd to 900). Each has a processor heatsink/fan and a power supply fan and no other fans!.
Living in darkest africa (well johannesburg) summer temps
around 28 Celcius. internal case temps on the AMDs around
34 C, processors maxing at 42 C. I run SETI on the classic
24/7. the classic has a seagate cheetah scsi UW which generates plenty heat !!. I have never had a hang or freeze
except trying the duron at 1000Mhz. Am i just lucky?