VIA ATA100 Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've just set up an Athlon 1GHz machine, DFI AK74EC motherboard, inno3D GeForce2 MX video, Sound Blaster Live! Platinum, one Samsung 40GB ATA100 HD and one Seagate 30GB 7200RPM HD, a Creative 121032 CDRW and a Creative 12X DVD with Dxr3.

Looks like W2K does not recognize the ATA100 on the Samsung drive (reports PIO 4 with the standard W2K IDE drivers). I mounted the VIA drivers which come on the mobo CD and then the disks are reported as SCSI devices. They seem to work better but then the CDRW software refuses to work reporting a SCSI error. I downloaded the latest VIA drivers versions (4 in one 4.26 beta) from www.viahardware.com and the devices are still reported as SCSI. Even if I disable DMA on the CDs, Nero CD burner still refuses to work. As to Adaptec Easy CD Creator, it doesn't even sees the CDRW!

There is an article in the MS knowledge base (Q251376) that states that the IDE driver model in Win 98/NT is an extension of the SCSI drivers, but in W2K there is a completely different scheme and that MS does not recommend to do an IDE driver for W2K as an extension of an SCSI driver. Maybe VIA didn't heed this advise?

Do any of you know how to make my ATA100 disk work under W2K?

Thanks in advance.

Henrik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm, well, have you set your bios to detect the ATA 100 drive? If you havent, do it. And then add the SCSI/ATA 100 device in the bootup sequence. I think that should do it.

Good luck.

G

Yes, I've checked it and the BIOS recognizes the ATA100 drive perfectly. I even flashed the motherboard with the latest bios that i downloaded from DFI. Someone else told me that W2K does not recognizes ATA100 and that will be solved in the SP2. Up to then the only solution I have is to "downgrade" my disk to an ATA66, but the only utility that I have found in Samsung's site handles ATA66 and ATA33 units but not ATA100. Back to square one.

Thanks!

Henrik

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, try plugging your ATA 100 drive into the regular IDE slot. That way it should operate as a standard IDE drive. I'm not 100% sure that this will work, but it won't damage your system if you try either.

Keep at it

G

Hi,
I've had the same experience with my Asus CUV4X-DLS MOBO. Bios recognizes ATA-100 or UDMA5, but windows doesn't and says it's PIO4. Just enter the bios and select "user defined disk" and set it manually to UDMA4. At least your disk will work as a decent ATA-66. Microsoft aknowledges that Win2k is not ATA-100 ready and they will provide a fix in the next Service Pack. Second, If you take a close look at the 4-in-1 drivers from VIA, you'll notice that the IDE busmaster driver is for Win9X and NT, NOT Win2k: there is none ! I've sent repeated mails to Via and Asus and they do not answer. Probably they'll release the driver together with the SP2 for Win2K. At least I hope so. Anyway, my ATA-100 runs like a fast ATA-66 this way.
Good luck !

Glen E.J. Forton

G

This may sound a bit silly and a bit "DUH" but if you have a diskette that came with the motherboard that say's "Hot Rod-100" (this is assuming you have a KT7A-RAID MB?) that diskette has the drivers your OS(s) are looking for..both for Win2K environment and the Win 9x as well. If you have that diskette..go into your control panel and find the SCSI host adapter icon device manager and tell it you want to re-install the drivers..I think you know the rest about pointing the browse button in the right direction..hope this helps..:)

Motivation is half the battle to success..personal intiative completes the process..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS