VIA given license to manufacture Pentium-M compatible CPUs

On 17 May 2005 12:36:09 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>X-bit labs - Hardware news - Intel Grants Pentium M Bus License to VIA
>Technologies.
>http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20050517115533.html
>
>The VIA C7-M's will likely be produced on 90nm SOI process at IBM
>Fishkill. And they are likely to be even more power saving than
>Pentium-M (3.5W @ 1.0Ghz!).

Hmm.. interesting.. I wonder if there is any stipulation in the
licensing agreement that they have to be the Pentium-M Socket 479
pinout and not the pinout for a Pentium4 chip. After all, the
Pentium-M and the Pentium4 use the same (electrically speaking) bus.

I wonder if the performance of VIA's chips has been bumped up any for
this new version? The current chips are quite nice from a power
consumption perspective, but they are BADLY outperformed by Intel's
Celeron-M. The new bus should give them a bit of a boost all on it's
own, particularly when coupled with some faster memory technologies.
However they'll need more than just that to make the processor fast.

-------------
Tony Hill

YKhan wrote:
> X-bit labs - Hardware news - Intel Grants Pentium M Bus License to VIA
> Technologies.
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20050517115533.html
>
> The VIA C7-M's will likely be produced on 90nm SOI process at IBM
> Fishkill. And they are likely to be even more power saving than
> Pentium-M (3.5W @ 1.0Ghz!).

And the very next day X-bit labs says:
"VIA Denies Intel Pentium M Bus Licensing [UPDATED].
VIA Clarifies Socket 479 Processor Details"
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20050518045045.html

Rob Stow wrote:
> YKhan wrote:
>
>> X-bit labs - Hardware news - Intel Grants Pentium M Bus License to VIA
>> Technologies.
>> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20050517115533.html
>>
>> The VIA C7-M's will likely be produced on 90nm SOI process at IBM
>> Fishkill. And they are likely to be even more power saving than
>> Pentium-M (3.5W @ 1.0Ghz!).
>

> And the very next day X-bit labs says:
> "VIA Denies Intel Pentium M Bus Licensing [UPDATED].
> VIA Clarifies Socket 479 Processor Details"
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20050518045045.html

Yeah, noticed, oh well, somebody must know the real story behind it.

Yousuf Khan