VIA HD Audio Suddenly Stopped Working

TheMestudios

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
Hey everyone, I have had my computer off for the last several days, and upon booting up, I found that my computer audio no longer works.
There where no issues when I shut it off last time.
I noticed that there was a windows update that automatically downloaded (courtesy of Microsoft's parasitic windows 10 policy) and thus I assumed that the drivers weren't working as this kind of thing has happened in the past. As this is a PC I built myself there are not any driver packages available like there would be for DELL or other name brand manufacturers.
I went to VIA's website and downloaded the only driver they had available, but that didn't work and now the computer won't even recognize anything that I plug into the headphone jack. any tips from someone a bit more software savvy than me would be super helpful, thanks!
BUILD:
AMD FX-8350
GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
GA 78LMT-USB3 mobo
Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Solution
Well, it's a common chipset, so you could download Ubuntu and boot it off USB. If it works in that, then maybe it really is Windows.

The 1 board I had the audio controller literally vanished in the end, as if it never existed. The other board, the OS would randomly see it from time to time, but even if it saw it, it didn't work.

fluked

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Could be dead or dying. I have no idea what causes this outside poor design and/or quality control, but in the last 4 years i've seen 2 boards give up the ghost for their onboard audio controllers. Both problems happened from power off to on states like yours. However, only 1 board continued to see the controller, on the other it finally vanished.

Good luck, I hope you get it working.

TheMestudios

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

huh, well it is a cheap POS mobo, and luckily I had plans to upgrade anyway just hopping it has nothing to do with windows as the thing has already not played very nice with some of the automatic updates they install. I'm fairly new at this, and this is my first build. Is there a way I can check the condition of the boards onboard audio (through the BIOS maybe)? Thanks.

fluked

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Well, it's a common chipset, so you could download Ubuntu and boot it off USB. If it works in that, then maybe it really is Windows.

The 1 board I had the audio controller literally vanished in the end, as if it never existed. The other board, the OS would randomly see it from time to time, but even if it saw it, it didn't work.

Solution

TheMestudios

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

Thanks for the tips, I'm gonna switch the board out hopefully in the next week or so, if the problem persists then ill give all that a try.