VIA Nano Hits Netbooks in Samsung's NC20

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Huh, good to see the Nano getting some love, as it is a superior performer to the Atom.

Intel is worried that allowing the Atom into larger computers will cannibalize their Core2 market for laptops. But if people want affordable computing with a bigger chassis, things like the Nano (upcoming w/ Ion) or AMD's Yukon platform will eat into the Core2 market enough by themselves. Maybe Intel should just accept that its better to have Atom in the computer than nothing at all.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Someone please explain to me how this is classified as a netbook? 12.1" screen, full sized keyboard, and weighing in at 3.3 pounds screams notebook to me. Unless we are coining the term "netbook" to products that are underpowered, regardless of size, this is not a netbook.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]Nano stomps on Atom ass. Check the benchmarks.[/citation]

You know what, I was just about to say Via still has a long way to go, because Intel will have 32nm Atoms and the new Chipset that has just come out will have better performance and power consumption, but I decided to go to Via's site to see the actual TDP of this Nano.

I had read that it had a 25w TDP, which is equal to that of the new 45nm Mobile Core 2 Duos, but I just found out that is only for the most powerful porcessor, which isn't even designed for portable computers.

The ones designed for Laptops top out at 8w for the model that will be used in the Samsung N20. Their slowest model at 1 Ghz has a max TDP of 5w.

So, now what I would say is just these two things: I hope Via's Chipset is up to the task of competing with Intel's new chipset for the Atom, and that it somehow manages to transition the Nano to a 45nm process soon. When they do that the will have a winner. Until then I think they will be good competition to Intel, but in a slightly larger form factor, in a niche of its own (which isn't itself a bad thing, though baterry life will suffer a bit when the CPU is under load, because at idle, Via right now is on par with the Atom).

I really wish Via pulls this one off in terms of market share. Competition is godd for us all.

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]faresdani[/nom]But i already own an HP mini 2133, wich from a long time have the same specs, and the via c7m processor.[/citation]
That's nice.

G

"Intel CEO: Silverthorne most important product since the introduction of the Pentium processor..."

Let's recap how that's worked out:

-Was supposed to use 1 to 2w, uses 4 to 8w

-dismal performance, with a pitiful chipset

-created a new market, which in turn AMD and Via are stomping all over them performance-wise(and maybe Nvidia too...)

Status
Not open for further replies.