Via Nano Processes Cryptography Like Few Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien_959

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
That's evidence that specialized designs win against commond architectures. It will be intresting something like this to be implemented for other tusks like video audio decoding, flash ect: in low power CPU category to futher increase their performance, just enought to be comfortable for every day tasks.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
^ i agree the main concern for low wattage cpu's now is performance per watt. seems like this would be and AMD win since that what the r770 was mainly concerned about.

yodoso

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
love how they waited till Nehalem was close to being released until they told the press about the Cryptography in the Nano. It's quite a shock to see an energy efficient processor outperforming a quad core power house, even if it is in only one area. I'm pretty sure if this gets enough attention Intel will implement something similar in the next iteration of the core 7(any different than the features they implemented from AMD designs?)

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
That's not news. ViA had it for a long time already.
What's news is that a Single Core 1.8 Ghz ViA NANO
coupled with a GeForce 8600 can handle Crysis with
Physics enabled. If nVidia goes with ViA we might
have very affordable PC's which are able to handle
almost anything at a VERY reasonable price. This
will create good competition. Intel with Larabee,
AMD with R800(?) and ViA with GeForce 200 Series.

Prices will surely drop in 2009/2010.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I had no idea of this feature. Very interesting.
And just in time for me to catch up on my back issue of SciAm. September's magazine (which I just got in the mail the other day for some reason) was dedicated to security with an article describing cryptography techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.