VIA Reveals New Nano X2 Dual-Core Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Can we be expecting a thorough review of these? I'd love to see how these fare; we could sure use a third player in the mainstream market to liven those boring ol' 'Intel vs AMD' flamewars.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]DokkRokken[/nom]Can we be expecting a thorough review of these? I'd love to see how these fare; we could sure use a third player in the mainstream market to liven those boring ol' 'Intel vs AMD' flamewars.[/citation]

+1

This

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I beleive that my first PC that I've owned came from MicroCenter. It was a PowerSpec (MicroCenter brand) and came with a Via CPU running at 900mhz. Beleive it or not when i got my Dell in '07 (this one's hard drive failed and wasn't worth the replacement cost)it was the first time I owned an Intel CPU. Honestly I can't beleive that Via's still around but hey more power to them for surviving a decade of obscurity.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
And do these still suck?

Sorry VIA, but Intel you can muslce on my i7-920 at 3.675GHz, then I'm not even going to dare putting you in my desktop.
Some of us do more then email, facebook, and word. :)

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]if they are comparable to intel, only then will they see acceptance. being cost effective is just not good enough.[/citation]

It is if those CPU cores are at 2.5GHz and $10, then everything would have these suckers in them, from TV's, BD Computer systems etc..

Good for VIA, my first computer had a VIA in it, 800MHz and could run Halo.. HALO! and that was all i needed :D

mirako347

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I personally don't like having direct opinions unless I really get annoyed with the company and they don't care. But yeah I can see why Travis Beane is comparing his i7 against the VIA Nano. In commercial wise, VIA Nano could of ended Intel Atom but then it was too slow and had lack of compatibility in drivers.

Their drivers are improving, but too slow. VIA is too slow compared to AMD and Intel. To AMD, Intel is a GIANT competitor. While to VIA, AMD is a massive Giant including AMD's graphics. VIA owns S3 Graphics...but not really useful for desktop.

VIA is basically a chipset company that had decided to expand by buying a CPU company, Centaur and a GPU company S3 Graphics. If they were to introduce their product two years ago, they would of owed the netbook nettop market.

The company can only find haven in developing countries. The VIA PC-1 is looking good. If they use their money properly the gains in their profit may shoot them back to mainstream again. They've been in the "low end of the low end" for too long. Don't even talk about ARM's 32-bit processors becoming quad core with their Mali graphics. ARM is designing 64-bit processors...crazy. 2011 = Dual Core 32-bit ARM processors. 2012 = Quad Core 32-bit ARM processors. That's going to a great monopoly...and threat to the netbook market for AMD and Intel. If VIA doesn't catch up, it'll die out completely.

VIA is too expensive :(

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Cool. VIA is finally developing a CPU that can run most apps without.................slowing.................to.................a.................crawl.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]It is if those CPU cores are at 2.5GHz and $10, then everything would have these suckers in them, from TV's, BD Computer systems etc..Good for VIA, my first computer had a VIA in it, 800MHz and could run Halo.. HALO! and that was all i needed[/citation]

I think your definition of "run" is different from mine, or anyone else for that matter....

[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]same old via, 5 generations behind everyone else. Can it keep up with a Celeron from 3 yrs ago???...probably not.[/citation]

lol maybe 5-8 years ago

[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]And do these still suck?Sorry VIA, but Intel you can muslce on my i7-920 at 3.675GHz, then I'm not even going to dare putting you in my desktop.Some of us do more then email, facebook, and word.[/citation]

do you lug your i7 rig around on a bus or train with you?

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The VIA nano, both the original and the new X2, was never meant to compete directly with AMD or Intel. It's developed entirely for embedded use in very tough operating enviroments, especially in industrial machinery or as carputers.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
via... please do more as you are one of 3 companies that can even do x86 ... its a 2 tier market and i'd love them to go back to the cyrix days and really produce some quality mid grade chips alongside thier current offerings... thier low power chips are impressive but more competition in the mid sector would be awsome

squidz66

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I find it both funny, and disgusting that a story like this brings out ney-sayers (fanboys) from both camps.
Would you all like fries with that??

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]The VIA nano, both the original and the new X2, was never meant to compete directly with AMD or Intel. It's developed entirely for embedded use in very tough operating enviroments, especially in industrial machinery or as carputers.[/citation]

I've got a via powered pico ITX sized motherboard sitting in my trucks dashboard run's xp and video's just fine. These are specialized solutions generally for an OEM and industrial market and as pointed out above, most people don't even seem to realize this and dismiss the product's.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]And do these still suck? Sorry VIA, but until you can muscle on my i7-920 at 3.675GHz, then I'm not even going to dare putting you in my desktop. Some of us do more then email, facebook, and word.[/citation]

But the vast majority of users do merely that :) Granted, I'm in your group as well; but Intel and AMD (and likewise nVidia and the former ATi) survive on the profits of the low-end and mid-range segments, and produce the high-end segment simply for bragging rights.

[citation][nom]squidz66[/nom]I find it both funny, and disgusting that a story like this brings out ney-sayers (fanboys) from both camps.Would you all like fries with that??[/citation]
nay sayers? have you experienced Via's previous offerings???? the lowest end AMD chip can thump anything via has to offer at probably the same price and probably will use less power.

mirako347

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
VIA Nano X2 Processor (or...what the called VIA Nano DC on their VN1000 Chipset) would probably have to be really cheap in order for it to be commercially friendly. There is no way people would spend money on a dual core processor supposedly running at ~1.8GHz with a 25TDP that costs more than a (going to be an older generation soon...once Intel gets their new Atom this year...soon) that has less support in drivers, chipsets, and warranty.

Unless you're a fan or even a person who's got nothing to do. VIA Nano X2 would not be a good choice for you. Anyone willing to buy a VIA Nano X2 for $30? or maybe a VIA Embedded board (VIA Nano X2 + VN1000) for $50~$100. Name your price? :)

mirako347

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Forgot to type my opinion of how much I would but it.

If (definite buy):
- OC @2.2GHz~or more* (stable)
- $50~$100 motherboard(embedded onto a VN1000 or newer chipset)
- $200~$250 pico-ITX (embedded onto a newer >Next Generation ION)

If (alert buy):
- No OC
- No Embedded, but $30 processor w/ $100~150 chipset

If (no buy):
- $>100 processor
- $>200 embedded
- $>no graphics card (ATI & NVIDIA) driver support

Status
Not open for further replies.