Via to Release Dual Core Nano in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
That is really far down the road via.... I have sold a few laptops with Via chips in em. They were quite snappy and we could sell em for dirt cheap with decent margins. It would be nice to have that again Via.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Above a certain size, you expect performance from a notebook. Netbooks are popular because they are so small. I think the arbitrary upper screen size limit of 10-11 inches is probably the maximum "portable" size. Mini notebooks (12-14 inches) are still smaller and lighter than power-house laptops, but you expect more performance from them too (watching Movies, playing simple games, etc...). The Atom, as evident from numerous Tom's reviews, simply doesn't compete with equally low-energy, yet far more powerful Core2 and Athlon designs. It's also ironic that the Atom is so popular in Netbooks, considering the energy consumption of the chipset undoes any energy efficiency of the processor. I have to think integrated VIA solutions running a Nano processor are more energy efficient.

G

Ha! in 2010 there sure be a quad core atom with newer architecture and more speed with DDR-3 support on the list! hahaha! Late for Via!

Status
Not open for further replies.