VIA USB 2.0 Controller

I have a via usb 2.0 pci card I added to my PC running windows XP pro with
SP2. The controller shows up in device manager as "Enhanced" but when I plug
in my iPod it says that it is a low speed port and that I should use one of
the available high speed ports. If I reboot my PC with the iPod plugged in,
It seems to behave ok.

I tried reinstalling the drivers and the device but it hasn’t helped. I
found a post that referred to several hot fixes and KB articles. Any ideas
how I can aquire these hot fixes. I have Automatic update running so I would
expect that I am current on any available patches

Here are the KB articles I’m referring to: 884868 usbhub.sys, 887173
usbstor.sys, and 892050 usbehci.sys

Thanks,

- Sam S.
- MCSD.
- I never think of the future -- it will come soon enough. - Albert
Einstein

"Sam S" <Thefajah@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>I have a via usb 2.0 pci card I added to my PC running windows XP pro with
> SP2. The controller shows up in device manager as "Enhanced" but when I
> plug
> in my iPod it says that it is a low speed port and that I should use one
> of
> the available high speed ports. If I reboot my PC with the iPod plugged
> in,
> It seems to behave ok.
>
> I tried reinstalling the drivers and the device but it hasn't helped. I
> found a post that referred to several hot fixes and KB articles. Any
> ideas
> how I can aquire these hot fixes. I have Automatic update running so I
> would
> expect that I am current on any available patches
>
> Here are the KB articles I'm referring to: 884868 usbhub.sys, 887173
> usbstor.sys, and 892050 usbehci.sys
>

> Thanks,
>
> - Sam S.
> - MCSD.
> - I never think of the future -- it will come soon enough. - Albert
> Einstein

Your BIOS has a setting for USB Speeds also. It defaults to normal speed.
Check the BIOS and make sure it is set to HIGH speed (480Mbps).

Bobby

Andrew

"Sam S" <Thefajah@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>I have a via usb 2.0 pci card I added to my PC running windows XP pro with
> SP2. The controller shows up in device manager as "Enhanced" but when I
> plug
> in my iPod it says that it is a low speed port and that I should use one
> of
> the available high speed ports. If I reboot my PC with the iPod plugged
> in,
> It seems to behave ok.
>
> I tried reinstalling the drivers and the device but it hasn't helped. I
> found a post that referred to several hot fixes and KB articles. Any
> ideas
> how I can aquire these hot fixes. I have Automatic update running so I
> would
> expect that I am current on any available patches
>
> Here are the KB articles I'm referring to: 884868 usbhub.sys, 887173
> usbstor.sys, and 892050 usbehci.sys

Go to the windows update website and let the website search for available
updates and then select the relevant fixes for installation. Automatic
updating doesn't install every fix to every PC but applies only the security
patches and essential updates.

Andy

I didn't see anything there that reffered to the KB articles particularly
892050 seems to match my symptoms. I loaded everything available but I am
still not connecting at the high speed.

Sam

"Andrew" wrote:

> "Sam S" <Thefajah@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >I have a via usb 2.0 pci card I added to my PC running windows XP pro with
> > SP2. The controller shows up in device manager as "Enhanced" but when I
> > plug
> > in my iPod it says that it is a low speed port and that I should use one
> > of
> > the available high speed ports. If I reboot my PC with the iPod plugged
> > in,
> > It seems to behave ok.
> >
> > I tried reinstalling the drivers and the device but it hasn't helped. I
> > found a post that referred to several hot fixes and KB articles. Any
> > ideas
> > how I can aquire these hot fixes. I have Automatic update running so I
> > would
> > expect that I am current on any available patches
> >
> > Here are the KB articles I'm referring to: 884868 usbhub.sys, 887173
> > usbstor.sys, and 892050 usbehci.sys
>

> Go to the windows update website and let the website search for available
> updates and then select the relevant fixes for installation. Automatic
> updating doesn't install every fix to every PC but applies only the security
> patches and essential updates.
>
> Andy

This is an add on card to my Dell PC. I didn't see anything in my BIOS other
then IRQ settings that may have impact on the VIA USB controller.

Sam

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> "Sam S" <Thefajah@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >I have a via usb 2.0 pci card I added to my PC running windows XP pro with
> > SP2. The controller shows up in device manager as "Enhanced" but when I
> > plug
> > in my iPod it says that it is a low speed port and that I should use one
> > of
> > the available high speed ports. If I reboot my PC with the iPod plugged
> > in,
> > It seems to behave ok.
> >
> > I tried reinstalling the drivers and the device but it hasn't helped. I
> > found a post that referred to several hot fixes and KB articles. Any
> > ideas
> > how I can aquire these hot fixes. I have Automatic update running so I
> > would
> > expect that I am current on any available patches
> >
> > Here are the KB articles I'm referring to: 884868 usbhub.sys, 887173
> > usbstor.sys, and 892050 usbehci.sys
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > - Sam S.
> > - MCSD.
> > - I never think of the future -- it will come soon enough. - Albert
> > Einstein
> >

> Your BIOS has a setting for USB Speeds also. It defaults to normal speed.
> Check the BIOS and make sure it is set to HIGH speed (480Mbps).
>
> Bobby

Andrew

> This is an add on card to my Dell PC. I didn't see anything in my BIOS
> other
> then IRQ settings that may have impact on the VIA USB controller.

Are there any drivers required for the add on card - are they installed?

Andy