VIA686b + Win2000/XP != UATA100

G

Hi!

I have QDI KinetiZ 7B board featuring VIA686b southbridge. When I install Win2000 (SP2+VIA 4.33) UDMA mode 5 (ATA100) doesn't work, but just DMA mode 0 with transfer rate only of 16MB/s instead of at least 70MB/s in ATA100 case.
Win9x works just fine with transfer rate 73MB/s.
I have addressed several forums, but no one can help, so I tried with other boards with VIA southbridge and some of them also had this problem, although some of them run at least in UDMA33 mode.
There is something really wrong with VIA's IDe and Win2000/XP.

Please help,

Bostjan

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Does it just say it isn't running at UDMA mode 5/ATA100, or your bench marks don't reflect it? If it just doesn't say that it is this is a known problem from Microsoft.

Check out this Document :::<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q269/5/55.ASP" target="_new"> Q269555 </A>

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

G

BIOS is the latest one. I know about the Q269555. I have SP2, which solves this problem. Anyway, this only helped to achieve ATA100, in my case even ATA66 or ATA33 doesn't work.

I've checked many times and doesn't just say it doesn't run in UDMA mode. The horrible disk performance is seen even without benchmarks, who just confirms this.

BTW if you turn ACPI off it works fine, until you load VIA's drivers. Unloading help again. But ACPI turned off is a bad solution, since that has many others disadventages.
Some other boards have the same problem and in some cases changing HD channel helped.
There is no problem with CD-ROM. It always work in UDMA.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
u know that you should only install the via 4in1's if you have a complete via chipset right?
thats both via north and southbridge?

In memory of the 90+ Auzzies missing in the WTC disaster. An attack that has changed the world.