Via's New VX855 Chipset Does 1080p Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthPig2004

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
...or paired with an Atom inside a big LCD TV, it could take over PVR duties, telephone, broadband router/modem, home automation, internet, BT and light gaming.

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hopefully Via will take market share from Intel because prices are too high in the netbook market, that's what happens when you let Intel alone, prices get incredibly overpriced.

G

Since Intel is so gosh darn anti-competitive and hell-bent on preventing any kind of decent(re: not 100% Intel) products from coming to market, why don't we all buy their competitors products instead?

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I'd get a Nano powered netbook over an Atom powered one any day, even just for the sake of being different. At CeBIT there were some very shady looking Chinese companies selling Nano powered netbooks. But other than that, what other netbooks use this?

G

as long as Via will not put restrictions on the use of their hardware like Intel and MS did (like eg: Limiting the amount of Ram on XP, limiting to older, or less energy efficient hardware);I will continue to think to support Via when their product becomes available!

It'd be great to see which Sodimm memory modules it can support! (preferably DDR3, or 800Mhz DDR2, or 1033Mhz for the overclockers).

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]apoq[/nom]I'd get a Nano powered netbook over an Atom powered one any day, even just for the sake of being different. At CeBIT there were some very shady looking Chinese companies selling Nano powered netbooks. But other than that, what other netbooks use this?[/citation]
I think HP makes some netbooks with VIA chips.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]as long as Via will not put restrictions on the use of their hardware like Intel and MS did (like eg: Limiting the amount of Ram on XP, [/citation]

You do realize the 4gb mem limit is due to 32 bit?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]sublifer[/nom]I think HP makes some netbooks with VIA chips.[/citation]
Are they Nano notebooks? I know lots of people used the Via C7 in lots of reference netbooks a year ago, but I haven't heard to too many Nano netbooks.

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I note that they mention while it can decode 1080p video, it can't actually display it. 1080p HD is 1920x1080 while the display interface apparently only goes up to 1400x1050. Not only is the pixel count too low, but the aspect ratio is 4:3 rather than 16:9.

OK, so we're looking at a downsized video running letterboxed on a small screen. I can live with that.

I also have to agree that having another competitor in the field has got to be good for the industry. Via haven't made much noise lately - it's almost all been AMD, Intel and NVidia lately - since going 64bit anyway, but I'm still using some boards built around Via chipsets. I'd love to see them get back into the running.

Anyone hear of any plans for a 64-bit Via offering?

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
The thermal design power (TDP) of the chip is just 2.3-watts, which is low enough for the chipset to run without a fan.
2.3 watts?????? I thought the Nano was closer to 25 watts, how did they get the power draw so low so quick? I'm thinkin this is supposed to be 23 watts.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]timaahhh[/nom]2.3 watts?????? I thought the Nano was closer to 25 watts, how did they get the power draw so low so quick? I'm thinkin this is supposed to be 23 watts.[/citation]

Because this is a chipset, not a CPU. Nano is a CPU. 2.3w is correct for this chip.

G

This won't be paired with the Atom

You know why? Because Intel won't let them do that. They didn't let Nvidia, so why would they let VIA?

G

I have a Nano CPU into a Epia VB8001 (integrated Chrome9) and the CPU is great, but the Chrome9 is poor, poor, poor. Almost, I DON´T LIKE driver support from VIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.