Vibrations coming from a fan.

skumbagfluffy

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
I Have a fan in my case which causes some noise due to vibration, I know it because when I unplugged the fan the noise stopped. The thing is that its screwed on the case with out any rubber rings, just the fan on the case with some screws. Is it because of that or the fan is just old which is and needs replacement, or maybe even both.

Solution
If it's fan vibrations, there's 2 things to try:
1. Lower fan rotation speeds so that it doesn't vibrate as much.
2. Tighten or loosen fan screws a bit.
I've had fans that produce vibrating noise. At one instance, tightening the fan screws fixed it while at other occasion, loosening the fan screws fixed it.

But if it's fan bearing that is making the noise then only thing to try to fix it is also setting different rotation speed.
I have few fans where i'll hear crackling noise from the bearing if i set the fan speed lower than it's specified to rotate.

If none of the above doesn't help then fan replacement is only fix.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If it's fan vibrations, there's 2 things to try:
1. Lower fan rotation speeds so that it doesn't vibrate as much.
2. Tighten or loosen fan screws a bit.
I've had fans that produce vibrating noise. At one instance, tightening the fan screws fixed it while at other occasion, loosening the fan screws fixed it.

But if it's fan bearing that is making the noise then only thing to try to fix it is also setting different rotation speed.
I have few fans where i'll hear crackling noise from the bearing if i set the fan speed lower than it's specified to rotate.

If none of the above doesn't help then fan replacement is only fix.

Solution