Vid Card still Wont work!!

ckbumps

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
I helped a friend put a pci voodo card in a HP pentium III
with some help from the forum I disabled the on board graphics.
my friend is still unable to play 3d games (specifically "I'm Goin IN" )
the game starts and plays the intro and then it freezes
otherwise it seems to be working ok doin regular 2d stuff
I could use some suggestions
any help would be apreciated
thanx
Ckbumps

G

Are you trying to run games in 32 bit color?

Try setting the desktop to 16 bit color because if it is in 32 bit, games will try to run in 32 bit color and will not work.

ckbumps

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
color was set to 24 bit true color
desktop works fine but when trying to run certain games it freezes. some games work ok. the on board graphics was disabled through device manager could this actually not be disabled?
thanx

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First, check to see if there is a BIOS setting for PCI as primary display. Second, make sure that you have all the Voodoo3 patches for your games, as many need them. You might have considered getting a 3D Accelerator add-on card instead of the full version (you know, the kind that uses your original card for 2d and has a pass through connector).

Suicide is painless...........

ckbumps

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
thanx for the suggestions guys turned out the card just couldn't keep up with higher than 640 X 480 resolution
runs fine at or under this res.
I didn't suspect that this card wouldn't be able to higher than that res. my fault for overlooking the little stuff
thanx alot for all the help
Ckbumps

G

thats wierd because i have a 8mb nvidia riva 128zx and it works in 800*600... voodoo 3 isnt supposed to run in anything over 16 bit color in 3d