VIDEO: A Closer Look at Dell's 7-inch Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
How could Dell be so cheap giving only 4GB of internal storage? Even a smartphone half the size have minimum of 16GB of internal storage.

And 1.3 MegaPixel camera is like 10 year old tech.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]How could Dell be so cheap giving only 4GB of internal storage? Even a smartphone half the size have minimum of 16GB of internal storage.And 1.3 MegaPixel camera is like 10 year old tech.[/citation]Small internal storage wouldn't bother me if it could be upgraded easily. I would rather buy my own instead of paying for the manufacturer's high-margin upgrades. I'm not sure about the camera. Since the tablet isn't really meant to be a camera replacement I suspect it will be used more for video calls. Higher resolution cameras don't really help much when you're dealing with bandwidth constraints.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]I have seen a couple of videos about Windows 7 on tablets (HP, DEll) and the touch response doesn't appear smooth. It takes a couple of swipes for the screen to register.[/citation]

A couple of videos? Take it from someone that has used and owned a Latitude XT2 and XT, an Archos 9 (With SSD), Acer 1820ptz, Asus R2h and now a Sony UX.... Touch is fine and especially fine with Multi-touch on the Latitude XT2 for typing. Two finger scrolling and gestures on the 1820ptz are also very, very easy.

Maybe the people on the video are just like you, only just realising that Tablets have been around for MANY years and work well

the_wolf88

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
What's the matter with you DELL !!!!

First streak with andorid 1.6 and now this with 2.1 !!

What a joke !!

Is it difficult to release it with Froyo ?!

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Ive yet to see a tablet that has the same responsiveness and accuracy as the iPad, I am no apple fanboy by any means, but it just seems silly to release products that aren't up to the standard that apple has set. This, and the slate, all seem sluggish and the scrolling is pretty poor...

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Transmaniacon[/nom]Ive yet to see a tablet that has the same responsiveness and accuracy as the iPad, ..[/citation]

Latitude XT2 with SSD
Archos 9 with SSD, once tweaked and Gestures/two finger scrolling are realised
Acer 1820ptz with SSD. 15 second boot time, multi-touch scrolling, gestures
a couple more.

I've never seen a tablet lacking as many features as the iPad. :p

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Latitude XT2 with SSDArchos 9 with SSD, once tweaked and Gestures/two finger scrolling are realisedAcer 1820ptz with SSD. 15 second boot time, multi-touch scrolling, gesturesa couple more.I've never seen a tablet lacking as many features as the iPad.[/citation]

Yea.... I believe Latitude XT2 w/ SSD should work well... but have you thought about how much this XT2 cost?... I just checked DELL's website... with a cheapest Core2 D and the SSD and 2 GB RAM with everything else goes to mimium.... it cost USD$2,224!!!!!!!!!!
Comparing a $2224 laptop w/ a $400-$800 iPad... and trying to tell people that the $2224 laptop (Core2 Duo (1.4GHz)) perform as fast as a $400-$800 iPad (1GHz A4)... isn't that kind of over??!

Anyway, I have been a tablet user for more than 6 years, even w/ my new i5/ATI HP tm2t, performance of win7 touchscreen interface still have a great room to improve.

For a high end touchscreen tablet, win7 may make the high price tag worth. However, for a netbook level touchscreen tablet... I will prefer the Android/WebOs/iOs or even Win Phone 7 Os.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Latitude XT is near £500 for a refurb and the XT2 is nearly £600 for a refurb. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay the silly Dell prices. I should have been clear[/citation]

That's true, I love factory refurb laptop. I had quit a few good experience from them. With about USD$1000, you definitely made your money worth!!!

I love my win7 tablet (HP tm2t)... I just like to look at the iPad/HP slate/Dell Streak as consumer electronic instead of a computer.. since if I look at them as a computer... they are just some underpowered touchscreen keyboardless netbook and win 7 really need some horsepower to make it shine!

G

3 swipes to get it to move = UNRESPONSIVE...
I think they just don't get it.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
I get a few for my company if the device runs Windows 7. Google & Microsoft, both evil but I trust Microsoft with my data more than Google.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.