Video, Audio, 2D Animation, Non-Internet Build

Jul 23, 2018
I would like to put together a computer to be able to do 3 main things equally well.
1. Video Editing
2. Audio Recording
3. 2D Animation
Any recommendations on a Computer Build for this? (Windows Based and off-line)

I know that, this could be and or is a very large wide open question but...

Many Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
One question that comes to mind is why not Windows 10? Eventually you will need to migrate to it leaving 7 and/or 8.1 to history.

Some of those HDDs should probably be used in a NAS box for storage and backups. Multiple backup locations (one off-site) recommended.

Of the three things you wish to do equally well then a build that supports the most demanding app should certainly then support the other two "less demanding" apps.

Now if you try to run all three apps at the same time then system performance might suffer somewhat. Difficult to predict, for me anyway, what might actually happen. Likely some resource conflict if anything.

Hopefully there are other Forum members following this thread who will offer additional thoughts...

Ralston18

Titan
It is a wide open question and there may be a number of answers forthcoming.

However, do remember that the software you are using is the driving factor. Most applications list minimal, recommended, and "best" with respect to hardware requirements.

Look at the software applications you are using. Check the applicable websites for hardware requirements.

Doubt you should go with minimal. Recommended at least and "best" if affordable.. Leave room for growth.

Jul 23, 2018

I wouldn't say I have the best but it's not the minimal.

Sorftware :
1. Video, Power Director 16
2. Audio, Presonus Studio One Pro 3.0
3. 2d Animation, MOHO Pro 12

Thank You for your reply Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
System performance will most likely be limited by the lowest requirement.

E.g., you may not have minimum memory but still not enough to make the applications perform as you would hope and need.

Generally the required specifications are established in ideal environments and any given application is likely to perform "well" accordingly.

Real world, for all of us, is different.

Good starting point is memory. How much memory are you planning?

How much memory does each of the listed applications require?

For example, Power Director 16 minimal memory is 2 GB. Recommended is 6 GB.

Reference:

https://www.cyberlink.com/stat/edms/english/productpage/product.jsp?productName=powerdirector-ultra&fileName=spec

Personus Studio One:

8 GB recommended.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S1v4AupA--presonus-studio-one-4-artist-upgrade-from-artist-any-version

Moho:

2 GB recommended.

https://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-pro-system-requirements.html

So 8 GB RAM is the minimal RAM to install. I would double that if possible.

However, you must also look at and consider all of the other listed specifications for each application.

Overall, likely that an SSD would be a good choice over any recommended HDD.

Details matter.

Jul 23, 2018

Super Thanks for your response Ralston18 & check in for the software mentioned.
P.S, that's nice set of Tom Badges by the way!

I apologies for not mentioning that, I do have some computer hardware! I know there's a slew of drives mostly small in size, but I got all of this roughly 2 weeks ago for $950.00USD. All parts believe it or not, unopened, still in their boxes, old/new stock. (except the Monitors, Mouse, Keyboard and W7 Ultimate Retail)

2 x 1TB WD Blacks HDD's
2 x 4TB WD Blacks HDD's
4 x 500GB WD Blacks HDD's
3 x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD's
3 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD's
2 x Wavlink USB 3.0 Dual Bay Docking Station ( Model: WL-ST334U-BL REV.A )

CPU = i7 6850K, 6-Core, Base Clock 3.6 Ghz
Heat Sink/Fan = Hans Reeven RC 1205
MOBO = MSI X99A SLI
RAM = 32GB DDR4 2133 Corsair Cas-15
GPU = MSI 1070 8GB Vram ( don't have the exact model num. in front of right now )
PSU = 1000W Ultra X3 Single 12v Rail, Bronze Rated
Case = Fractal Design R5
UPS = APC BX1500G
1 x PCIe Firewire Card (For Audio Interface)
1 x PCi Firewire Card ( I guess it would come in handy If your mobo. has a PCI Slot, this mobo. doesn't )
Card Reader (SanDisk ImageMate Pro Multi Card Reader/Writer)
2 x Asus 1920x1080 VK264H Monitors
Mouse
Keyboard
OS = 1 x W7 Ultimate Retail and 1 x W8.1 Pro OEM
1 x Canon Vixia HF R600 link to specs below, not much but...

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/camcorders/consumer/vixia/vixia-hf-r600/vixia-hf-r600

I have managed to put everything on the Motherboard and ran a test post check and it posted no problems, I guess that is some good news so far. No computer assembled, all parts back in boxes at this time, till further education.

I would like to put together a computer to be able to do 3 main things equally well.
1. Video Editing
2. Audio Recording
3. 2D Animation
I would also like to be able too store all original files and finished Projects!

Any recommendations on a Computer Build such as this, would be greatly appreciated? (For Windows Based and off-line)

Thank You Very Much In Advance!!!

Ralston18

Titan
One question that comes to mind is why not Windows 10? Eventually you will need to migrate to it leaving 7 and/or 8.1 to history.

Some of those HDDs should probably be used in a NAS box for storage and backups. Multiple backup locations (one off-site) recommended.

Of the three things you wish to do equally well then a build that supports the most demanding app should certainly then support the other two "less demanding" apps.

Now if you try to run all three apps at the same time then system performance might suffer somewhat. Difficult to predict, for me anyway, what might actually happen. Likely some resource conflict if anything.

Hopefully there are other Forum members following this thread who will offer additional thoughts and suggestions. No problem with that on my end.

Solution
Jul 23, 2018

Yes eventually10, but all my software and hardware will work on 7 or 8.1. My audio interface is not supported by 10!
I would create on the 7 or 8.1 machine and then transfer to a W10 machine for upload to the internet. Again would like for my content creation computer to be internet free!!! If that's possible?

Yes agreed! So use all SSD's OS/Programs and then other SSD's for content creation?

That's logical. Like Duh!!! Other than the details that is!

Of course.

Hopefully there are other Forum members following this thread who will offer additional thoughts and suggestions. No problem with that on my end.

Totally agree!!! Anyone?
Live Long And Prosper Ralston18 Peace, and thanks for the insight!!!

The Snot Nose Kid