Video Camera Recomondations

I in the process of buying a new digital video camera. I'm also getting into
video editing a lot more. I'm looking to but a good beginner camera, but I
don't want to pay more than about $450. I know that this can be a problem but I
have seen a few that look like they would be good. The JVC GR-DVL 120, JVC GRDV
800, Cannon Optura 20, and the Panasonic PV-DV402. If anyone has any input on
any of these cameras or has another one that I could check out I would really
appreciate any help.

I just bought a Panasonic PV-GS120. It's a relatively new Mini-DV
model that features 3-CCD True color system and Lieca DicoMar lens
system. I got it for $619 + Ga. State Sales Tax at the local Best
Buys. If you look around on the Internet, you can probably find it
online for $50-80 less (possibly with free shipping and no sales tax
as well) but Best Buys was offering 24-month interest free on all
digital cameras/camcorders over $450. I figured it was worth a few
buck more to have the flexibility to return it locally with no hassle
if there was a problem.

So far, I am quite pleased. Great picture, easy to use, lots of
features. Works great with Pinnacle Studio9 and an Adaptec Firewire
card in my computer. I looked at several other models from Sony,
Canon and JVC. Also, looked at reviews on epinions.com, and,
circuitcity.com has a great camcorder section with user reviews on the
models they offer for sale. All reviews of the Panasonic PV-GS120
ranged from very good to great (typically 4.7 out of 5). Consumer
Reports rates Sony and Panasonic at the top of their list for Digital
Camcorders in terms of reliability - about 4% problem rating versus 8%
for JVC and 9% for Canon. I personally have had less that stellar
results with Sony products. I bought a highend Sony Hi8 camcorder
several years ago and it died with probably fewer than 100-hours use.
Similar luck with a nice Sony TV that died in less the 18-monthsm (I
now exclusively buy Toshiba TV's - they're great!!). Also, quite a
few reviewers of Sony camcorders complained that they were very noisy
and that the noise was pickup up by the camcorder and was audible in
the recorded video.

If the PV-GS120 is a little steep, my next choice would have been the
Panasonic PV-GS 15 for around $400-$450. There are also GS-12 and
GS-14 models that are a few dollars less, but, the GS-15 seems like
the best value. It comes with a 3-hour battery which by itself
justifies the additional cost of the GS12 and 14. Again, the Circuit
City website allows you to select several models and compare the main
features.

The good news is that for $450-$550 you should be able to get a very
good camera for personal use. My advise on all purchases like this is
spend a few dollars more and get a product with all the features you
need and want. You will probably use this camera for a few years, and,
the joy of fine quality and extra features will be appreciated long
after the pain of a few extra dollars is past.

Good luck with your purchase.

Skip Hardin