VIdeo Capturing/Editing - How To? Hardware?

Sh8rp

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hi guys,
I was wondering what I would need to get started into Video Capturing and Editing. Should I look into buying another hard drive? I currently have http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/wd-wd-2tb-3-5-7200rpm-sata-sata-desktop-performance-internal-hard-drive-wdbsla0020hnc-nrsn-wdbsla0020hnc-nrsn/10256797.aspx. Would it help to get one specific for Video Capturing? What else would I need?

Thanks!!

Hi. You will also need a software utility. I assume you are talking about capturing video game footage, so that's how I will answer. There are many utilities out there. FRAPs is one but IMO it is just too "fat" in the amount of space used. For example, a 30 second video clip at maxed out quality settings can be over 1GB in space. The free version of FRAPs only allows 30 second clips with limited quality settings. You need to buy the full version to unlock its potential.

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, the GeForce Experience utility has a built in video capturing tool that is much less taxing on space requirements. Finally, you will need a post-processing program like Sony Vegas Studio to render the video captured into a Youtube or Facebook-friendly file format, as whatever utility you use to capture the video may or may not be created in a certain supported format.

Sh8rp

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Thanks for your help. I do have an Nvidia card and will look into the GeForce Experience utility. In terms of actual hardware, what drive would you recommend getting (if any) ? I currently have the WD one as my main.

Thanks!