Video Card and Bios Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
Not real sure on what goes where and what settings I should have in my BIOS. I have:

Asus P5KC Motherboard
GeForce 8800 GT Video Card

Currently in the BIOS I have:
Memory Remap Feature: Enabled
Initiate Graphics Adapter: PCI/PEG
PEG Port Control: Auto
PEG Port Force x 1 : Disabled

Also this motherboard has 2 slots for 2 video cards but I only have one, does it matter which slot I put it into? One is blue and the other is black, and I have it in the black one and it seems to be running and playing games just fine. Just curious if it mattered performance wise.

MadAdmiral is right, you will want to move the GPU to the blue slot unless you like crippling the system. The Newegg specs confirm that the black slot runs at a maximum of 4x.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131188&cm_re=Asus_P5KC-_-13-131-188-_-Product

The motherboard owners manual also tells you to put the GPU in the blue slot on page 2-24.

http://www.manualnguide.com/dl/731/

"We recommend that you install a VGA card on the primary (blue) PCI Express slot, and install any other PCI Express device on the Universal PCI-E slot (black)."

Refer to the motherboard owners manual for that too. Pages 4-23 & 4-24 cover those options.

I don't see any reason to change the values from the default values. You should change the "Initiate Graphics Adapter" option back to PEG/PCI since you're using a PCI-E graphics card. PEG stands for "PCI Express Graphics".

The manual also says to only enable the memory remap if you're using a 64-bit OS.

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
When I switched it to the blue slot, I got nothing. No video. That was with the default settings. The blue slot only worked when I did this:

Initiate Graphics Adapter: PEG/PCI
Port Peg Control: Enabled
Port Peg Force x1: Enabled

All other settings gave no video output for the blue slot.

According to the manual, the default values are:

Initiate Graphics Adapter: PEG/PCI
Port Peg Control: Auto
Port Peg Force x1: Disabled

The card should work just fine in the blue slot with the above settings. You might also just want to load the "Optimized settings" in the BIOS as it seems you've been making changes without really knowing what is was that you were changing.

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004

Did all of the above and still no cigar. Either the card wont run at full speed on that slot, or the slot itself wont run at full speed. I have absolutely no clue on why either. Runs fine though in the other slot. So confused on why it would only work with peg force x1 Enabled.

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004
I've tried clearing the CMOS, running default. Nothing seems to work. That main blue slot will only work with PEG Force x1 lol. I am completely at a loss for words on why it only runs with that. The P5KC supports 16x and the Geforce 8800GT should work on that as well. Maybe the motherboard is faulty? Completely lost on this one.

jvasquez33

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2004

The speed with CPU-Z lists the speed at 1x with force x1 enabled. So weird how it would work on one setting and not the standard default. Latest BIOS update as well, I dont think it would be my video card, at least I don't think it is lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.