Question Video Card Causes Freezing and Boot Loop

owensdj

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
About a year ago I was using the built-in Intel processor graphics and DVI port on my motherboard. I started getting screen corruption and reboots of Windows 10, usually soon after turning on the computer in the morning. Over time this got worse until the machine couldn't boot Windows before another crash and reboot would happen.

I fixed the problem by disabling the on-board graphics and installing an Nvidia GT 1030 card.

Things seemed to be working fine until a few weeks ago when I started getting system freezes, usually when playing a video in a browser. Yesterday it happened a few times, with the last one putting the system into a state where it would freeze during POST. I tried unplugging all drives, audio, and USB from the motherboard, but it still froze after a power on.

I replaced the GT 1030 with an old AMD 6450 card, and the system worked again. After the first power on with the replacement card the system said the BIOS was corrupted and it would load a backup BIOS. After that I was able to reconnect the drives and get Windows 10 to boot and work with no problem. It's still working fine with no lockups so far.

This might seem like the GT 1030 card is the problem, but I'm not so sure about that. The onboard video did go bad on the motherboard, and the GT 1030 card seemed to work on an older machine I tried it on. It didn't cause a freeze in the BIOS, but the machine did seem to strangely shutdown and boot again after restarts.

I'm not sure where to go at this point. Is the motherboard bad? Could the power supply be providing unstable power? Could the 1030 GT actually be causing a problem?

Intel i7-3770 Ivy Bridge not overclocked
Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
MSI 1030 GT 2GB Video Card
G-Skill 8GB(2x4GB)
Crucial 500GB MX500 SSD
Western Digital 1.5TB HD
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Power Supply
Windows 10 Pro

Components are 6 years old other than the SSD.