cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
:hello:

my 4890 has been tripping out with my new board, ram and cpu... i have a vantec ion2 520watt PSU and was thinking it might be that although windows thinks its a driver fail( i have unistalled drivers and got new ones(using driver sweeper and add/remover programs)

i want to underclock my GPU by 30mhz on core and 40mhz on memory using the CCC overdrive.

is this okay as it will only be temporary until i findout what the problem is.

What do u mean by "tripping" ?
crash? errors?

i never heard of vantec PSU, it seems not reliable...
What driver's version did u use? Have u try with the latest or the older one?

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
it freezes all the time. i have tried the latest and older drivers, 3 kinkds and i get same results= freezing

i am off to buy myself a 1200watt PSU!!!!

Did u check the card temps?
U can try on your friend's computer(make sure he has a good PSU) to make sure whether the games are still freeze or not. If it yes then it's your card is in trouble.

No need 1200W of PSU, u just need a good brands(like Corsair, OCZ, Antec, SilverStone, etc)
Also make sure all of the power connector cables are properly inserted. :)

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
everything is connected and i the card temps are around 50 in idle and 60 in game.

i know the card works because last week (with my old mobo, ram, cpu) the card was working great

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
what program can i use to test my GPU???

as in a stress test?, i just tested my ram and cpu using prime 95 and memtest and got no errors

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
i ran ATItool and scanned for artifacts, it said 0 errors and then my PC froze up(nothing would happen on the screen except my mouse would move) and then the screen went blank and i restarted.

what could the problem be? :(

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
i tried the card on another pc and played crysis warhead on full graphics for 10 minutes and it ran perfectly,

i have just installed win7 and everythings okay :)