[SOLVED] Video Card Compatibility With 9 Year Old Motherboard

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I am planning to replace my faithful 9-year-old computer with a Ryzen 3600 and B450 motherboard in a few months, after the BIOS issues have hopefully been sorted out.

The problem is that the 9-year-old video card seems to be failing now. The screens intermittently freeze and go black, and then a second or so later everything comes back after an apparent GPU reboot. There are also smaller random glitches that flash or blank the screens for less than a second without freezing or rebooting.

It would seem most sensible to replace the video card in my old system with the NVidia GTX 1050 I'm planning to use in the new one. (I don't game or create video, so a more powerful GPU would be a waste of money.) Then I'd just move it over to the new system when the time comes, without buying any "throwaway" hardware.

My question is whether the GTX 1050 would be compatible with my old system. The motherboard is an Asus P7P55D-E (with an i7-860, if that matters). The video card is in a PCIe 2.0x16 slot. It's running 64-bit Windows 7, for which there should be a suitable driver.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Thanks for getting back to me!

The power supply is an Antec EA-500D. The sticker says it's 500 watts. The 12v rail is rated at 22A, maximum load 444 watts. I have no idea what it actually puts out after all this time.

The current video card is a GeForce 9500 GT. Giggle turns up a spec sheet that says the "maximum graphics card power" is 50 watts and "minimum system power requirement" is 350 watts. The (new) GTX 1050 spec sheet says "graphics card power" is 75 watts; "recommended system power" is 300 watts.
Ok, that power supply has more than enough power for the GTX 1050. It should run great in your system! Most GTX 1050's don't need a VGA power cable from the power supply because the PCIe connector can usually supply up to 75...

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018
Yes, the GTX 1050 will work in the old system and the older system is running Windows 7 so it will have new driver support. However, the power supply in the old system might not be good enough. Do you happen to know the wattage and voltage on the 12v rail of the power supply or the model of the power supply? Also, what is the GPU in the old system?

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Yes, the GTX 1050 will work in the old system and the older system is running Windows 7 so it will have new driver support. However, the power supply in the old system might not be good enough. Do you happen to know the wattage and voltage on the 12v rail of the power supply or the model of the power supply? Also, what is the GPU in the old system?

The power supply is an Antec EA-500D. The sticker says it's 500 watts. The 12v rail is rated at 22A, maximum load 444 watts. I have no idea what it actually puts out after all this time.

The current video card is a GeForce 9500 GT. Giggle turns up a spec sheet that says the "maximum graphics card power" is 50 watts and "minimum system power requirement" is 350 watts. The (new) GTX 1050 spec sheet says "graphics card power" is 75 watts; "recommended system power" is 300 watts.

erik62905

Honorable
Jan 17, 2018

Ok, that power supply has more than enough power for the GTX 1050. It should run great in your system! Most GTX 1050's don't need a VGA power cable from the power supply because the PCIe connector can usually supply up to 75 watts.

Solution

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Ok, that power supply has more than enough power for the GTX 1050. It should run great in your system! Most GTX 1050's don't need a VGA power cable from the power supply because the PCIe connector can usually supply up to 75 watts.

Thanks! That would seem to solve my problem for now... and the video card will also burned in and tested when it's time to build the new system. One less thing to worry about.