Video card/CPU power question

goldbedr

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Hey everyone.

I've heard lots of good things about this site, and I've already learnt one reason why my new build may not be working.

I got a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R and put an i7 on it, and have an evga geforce gtx 260 on it, 3x2gb memory on a 750w psu. It's my first time building, and come the moment of truth, the fans on the case spun up, the CPU fan spun up....but I got no beeps or video signal. I checked the video card and the fan was not running on it. Both PCI-e plugs are plugged into the psu. I saw there was a little two pin connector labeled "spcid-gnd" or something like that and there were two places I could reach with the included wire to plug it in. I just left it off since I didn't want to plug it into the wrong one (could be my first problem)

Now, after looking at the sticky checklist, I have realized that I did, in fact, neglect to plug in the CPU power. However, would this prevent the video card fan from spinning up? I would think that having it powered would still have the fan spin up. Also, could someone tell me where to connect that little other connector? I don't want to put it on something wrong and short out the MB or the video card.

Thank you very much!

goldbedr

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Ah, by the way, little connector I'm asking about is the s/pdif cable, so that may help. I'm hoping/guessing that it's the one next to the chip labeled spdif_0?

goldbedr

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Ah, sorry, I actually finally found something saying that the s/pdif is totally unnecessary.

So my question is simply: does not having power to the processor mean the fan on the video card might not spin up? I can't test it till I get home, and I'd like to not be stressed out thinking that my card was broken or I broke it.

goldbedr

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I hate bumping my own thread so much, but I'd really like to know if I should be excited to go home and test this, or upset and ready to set up an RMA.

goldbedr

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Awesome, thank you! That was what I was looking for exactly...I didn't know if a command to start the fan spinning was granted through BIOS/POST or if it would just turn on based on the fact that there was power provided to it and the mobo.

goldbedr

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

JTT283 was completely right.

I must now hang my head in shame, considering that the reason my computer was not working was that "it was not plugged in".