video card crossroad

suurna1

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I am trying to put my first gaming system together and am now and was originally planning on the radeon 9800 pro due to budget reasons and the value for the money. but recently i have been looking into the new geforce 6800 non ultra, non GT. this card is 300 instead of 200, i am not sure if it is worth the 50 percent increase in money and i am also having trouble finding benchmarks so i can see the performance difference. has anybody seen a good benchmark that has this card, or has some insight that you can lend me. thanks

The plain GF6800 isn't very impressive, either wait for it to come down in price or else get the R9800 and save the money for latter when you can sell the R9800 and get a cheap GF6800GT or RX800Pro.

Right you will see some minor advantages from the GF6800, but not $100 worth IMO. And if you turn on AA/AF you will actually see the R9800 pull even or even ahead in some situations.

The main thing is; what games do you play, what is you system's specs (you could be somewhat CPU limited), and how long do you plan on keeping this card before upgrading again?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Well you're not likely CPU limited, so the question becomes what do you like to play, if the answer is the latest games, well then the GF6800 will likely allow you to play longer since without quality settings you will likely get playable frame longer at higher res.

Howeverm as to whether it is worth the $100 more, I don't think so, I don't think you will find a better deal than the R9800Pro, and then if you spend any more you might as well go for the GF6800<b>GT</b> or X800pro. The plain jane GF6800 doesn't impress much IMO.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: