Video card driver question

Hey all,

I'm running a 3-year old Dimension 8100 system with, as Device Manager
calls it, a 64MB DDR Nvidia GeForce 3 (Dell). Now, I'm actually still
using the Dell provided support.dell.com drivers for the card, but
Nvidia has had *tons* of revisions since then. Should I go for
Nvidia's detonator drivers? New games presumably need the Directx9
support of said drivers, and I'd assume that the Nvidia ones would
support the Dell OEM card.

Thanks,

-D

"David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> I'm running a 3-year old Dimension 8100 system with, as Device Manager
> calls it, a 64MB DDR Nvidia GeForce 3 (Dell). Now, I'm actually still
> using the Dell provided support.dell.com drivers for the card, but
> Nvidia has had *tons* of revisions since then. Should I go for
> Nvidia's detonator drivers? New games presumably need the Directx9
> support of said drivers, and I'd assume that the Nvidia ones would
> support the Dell OEM card.
>
> Thanks,
>

> -D

FWIW I've got an 8200 with the GeForce Ti4200. I've always gone to the
NVidia site for drivers. No problems encountered and some problems resolved.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

> "David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm running a 3-year old Dimension 8100 system with, as Device Manager
> > calls it, a 64MB DDR Nvidia GeForce 3 (Dell). Now, I'm actually still
> > using the Dell provided support.dell.com drivers for the card, but
> > Nvidia has had *tons* of revisions since then. Should I go for
> > Nvidia's detonator drivers? New games presumably need the Directx9
> > support of said drivers, and I'd assume that the Nvidia ones would
> > support the Dell OEM card.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > -D
>
> FWIW I've got an 8200 with the GeForce Ti4200. I've always gone to the
> NVidia site for drivers. No problems encountered and some problems resolved.

If you never encountered problems, how'd you resolve them? <g>

Larry

"Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> >
> > "David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I'm running a 3-year old Dimension 8100 system with, as Device Manager
> > > calls it, a 64MB DDR Nvidia GeForce 3 (Dell). Now, I'm actually still
> > > using the Dell provided support.dell.com drivers for the card, but
> > > Nvidia has had *tons* of revisions since then. Should I go for
> > > Nvidia's detonator drivers? New games presumably need the Directx9
> > > support of said drivers, and I'd assume that the Nvidia ones would
> > > support the Dell OEM card.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > -D
> >
> > FWIW I've got an 8200 with the GeForce Ti4200. I've always gone to the
> > NVidia site for drivers. No problems encountered and some problems
resolved.

> If you never encountered problems, how'd you resolve them? <g>
>
> Larry

As shipped the computer had some problems with BSODs while viewing full
screen streaming video. Updating the drivers from NVidia resolved that
issue. Additionally I encountered no difficulties using NVidias drivers on
an OEM Dell display adapter.

I hope that eases your mind and that you'll be able to rest tonight. :)

Take care...

Remove shoes to E-mail.

HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

> "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
> > >
> > > "David Goodwin" <ksg1-2@yifan.nyet> wrote in message

> > > FWIW I've got an 8200 with the GeForce Ti4200. I've always gone to the
> > > NVidia site for drivers. No problems encountered and some problems
> resolved.
> >
> > If you never encountered problems, how'd you resolve them? <g>
> >
> > Larry
>
> As shipped the computer had some problems with BSODs while viewing full
> screen streaming video. Updating the drivers from NVidia resolved that
> issue. Additionally I encountered no difficulties using NVidias drivers on
> an OEM Dell display adapter.
>
> I hope that eases your mind and that you'll be able to rest tonight. :)

My mind's at ease... Thanks!

Larry