Video card drivers not working with the video card?

Jabes2345

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Ok so I had a problem with my HiS Radeon Hd 7770 where i would get black screened 5 seconds upon entering my desktop. I took it to the shop and the guy said "Your AMD driver is corrupted, I suggest a hard drive wipe/ reinstall of windows." I did as he said and I actually did manage to get back into my desktop. However, when I rebooted my PC after the graphics card driver installation was complete, I got the same issue yet again. Instead, the black screen was before the welcome screen so I would have to go into safe mode and uninstall the driver.

I have tried 3 drivers already. The latest 14.4 Beta, 14.4 and 13.1. I cleaned uninstalled them using AMD's clean uninstall utility. Currently trying out the 13.12. It never did this before and I don't know why it is happening now. Any ideas?

Specs:
Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10Ghz
HiS Radeon HD 7770 2GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws red 8GB DDR3 RAM
Power-Man IP-S400DQ3-2 400W Power supply
P8 H67-M PRO Motherboard
500GB hard drive

Jabes2345

Distinguished
May 18, 2014

Hi, thank you for the quick answer. Could it actually be a dead card? The guy at the store said it wasn't the card since he was able to get into safe mode. I don't know why but i'm kind of leaning towards a faulty 6-pin connector issue? Maybe even the low grade PSU is bringing it down?

Jabes2345

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
I have also tried the 13.12 driver as well. Still getting the black screen and forced me to use start-up repair to restore to a point with no AMD driver. I have had this card for 2 years as well.

Jabes2345

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
I took my bro's graphics card (Nvidia GTS 450) and used it on my PC. When I got into the desk top, it downloaded something about the PCI-E Slot that never happened when I had my 7770. I installed the driver for the Nvidia card and rebooted my PC like i did with the AMD driver. The difference was, I didn't get black screened. The dude at the shop lied to me about corrupt drivers and now I lost unnecessary data.

more likely they get 10 people a day coming in about "bad gpus" and 9 of them are due to poor driver installs... so the shop policy to keep from getting it bad by needless open box returns on fully functioning cards (which cost them money every time) is to give that advice to everyone.

yeah... it's crappy advice, and it's lazy and unhelpful. but it's also understandable. sorry you lose data :( that really bites... just remember this is the place to go to get some seriously good tech advice!

Latest posts