MoBo
: Gigabyte Z370p D3
CPU: Intel i5 8600k @3.2Ghz
RAM: 16GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix @2666MHz
Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 250GB, WD Blue 2TB HDD
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Aorus
PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 550w, 80+ Gold
Monitors: AOC 32" 1440p - 75Hz (main), Asus 1080p 27" - 60Hz

This card replaced a GTX 1080 which I had no problems with, except that I needed an upgrade
for the new monitor.
The error message/crash shows up after a few seconds, or after 2-3 minutes.

I tried a few different driver versions, tried to underclock the frequencies using MSI Afterburner,
but none of these steps fixed the issue. The GPU clock went beyond 2GHz when the game crashed.

The only game that I am currently playing is WoT, and I lowered AA and some texture settings
and since then I haven't got any crashes - but if I try a different game, I get the same.

I am not an expert, and I was wondering if the culprit can't be the PSU, because maybe it can't
provide enough juice for the GPU to perform as it should. I might be wrong tho.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Yes it may be the power supply, but unless you start checking which part it is it is all just guessing. The power supply you have is a good model, it should be enough to run the card but without trying something with more power really no way to know for sure.

Your 1080 should have been fine for 1440 gaming though, did you have issues with it? Are you trying to overclock the card or is it at stock speeds?

Yes it may be the power supply, but unless you start checking which part it is it is all just guessing. The power supply you have is a good model, it should be enough to run the card but without trying something with more power really no way to know for sure.

Your 1080 should have been fine for 1440 gaming though, did you have issues with it? Are you trying to overclock the card or is it at stock speeds?

WARH3AD

Reputable
Apr 24, 2016

Had no problems at all with the 1080. The 1080Ti is OCd and I've seen it reaching frequencies up to 2.1GHz. Few hours ago I've installed PUBG and after starting the game it crashed. Based on the error message I did some research, used DDU to clean the driver and installed the latest one. Started again the game, maxed it out, and the video card frequency does jump up to 1.6GHz for a sec sometimes, but it's stable at 1.3GHZ. For now I can say the problem is fixed, but I still ordered a more powerful PSU.

WARH3AD

Reputable
Apr 24, 2016
I've just installed the new EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GQ 850W Gold PSU, same problem.

I tried BIOS reset and even flasing, CMOS reset, vBIOS flashing, MoBo checking/cleaning, memtest (no errors), virtual memory increasing, decreasing.
Temps: CPU - 51° C max | GPU - 74° C max.
Also unplugged the secondary screen, all the peripherals except mouse/keyboard.

Every game I start, after 2-3 minutes the PC freezes.

Last edited: