Video card fan spins but no signal

TheMohawkNinja_1

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
Hello,

I am trying to get an old computer up and running for a project, and I know that the last time the machine had booted, everything was working correctly (the only new parts are the PSU and HDD). Unfortunately, I am not getting a signal from the video card, despite the fans spinning. There are no beep codes occurring either.

I have tried using both DVI ports on the video card, but neither is working. I would like to try and blindly switch the system to use the mobo's video output, but I do not know how to do that. Accomplishing this via removing the video card isn't easily done as the video card is hybrid cooled, with the water loop cooling the CPU as well, so it would be a lot of effort to remove everything.

The system has a ASUS P8Z68-V series mobo if that helps.

Thank you,

A very common solution to this no video output problem is reseating the memory. Remove each stick of memory one at a time, clean the contacts, blow out the slot, firmly reinstall, and then repeat for the remaining sicks of RAM. Also make sure that the lever on the memory slot is all of the way up, and that sets of memory are in the same color coded slots.

Do the same for the graphics card. Make sure that any PCIE cables are firmly connected to the graphics card.

Next, unplug the monitor cable and power cord for a minute or so. This will reset the monitor.

The easiest way to use the use the motherboard video outputs is to remove the graphics card. Otherwise to use the motherboard video outputs, you must go into the BIOS and set the graphics source from Auto to Integrated. With it set to auto, the motherboard video outputs are disabled if a graphics card is installed in the PCI Express x 16 slot.

TheMohawkNinja_1

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

Done all of that, and still no change. It shouldn't have anything to do with how things are seated, given the only hardware change was the PSU and HDD. Everything else is in the same configuration as it was last time it was successfully booted.

TheMohawkNinja_1

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

I can't get into the BIOS since I can't get a signal output from the video card. I would have already just removed the video card, but the video card has an integrated water cooling loop that cools the CPU, so removing the video card would remove the CPU cooler as well.

Then it appears that you will need to change the cooling loop. Try installing a flexible length of tubing to exclude the graphics card. Or you can install another CPU cooler at least temporarily.

And reseating the memory is a very common fix for this. It doesn't require anything other than vibration and dust to require reseating of the memory or graphics card.

But that doesn't mean that there are not other possibilities (like faulty memory, faulty GPU, faulty monitor cable, faulty PSU, inadequate PSU, faulty motherboard, faulty CPU, or a poor CPU install).