Video Card for DVD output to TV

G

Hi there all! I was wondering if someone would help me in deciding which video card to purchase. Right now I am planning to purchase the ASUS AGP-3800 Ultra Deluxe or AGP-7100/T GeForce2 MX. Both have TV-out.

I am planning to use my computer for DVD viewing also and I am confused on what video card I should use. Sometimes I think the ASUS AGP-V6800 Deluxe is better but it is only for ASUS K7M or for Intel chipset mainboard only. My setup is for an AMD Athlon 800 on an ASUS A7V mainboard. Will it work on my setup?

So, I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to what I should buy for high-quality DVD playback and output to TV. Hope to hear from ye all soon! Till then.

G

Asus graphics cards do not work with all Asus MBs, that is insane.

I too am looking for quality TV output & the Asus 6800 delux was at the top of my list until i read your post!

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get a Hollywood Plus card by Sigma Designs for hardware DVD playback.
Its only about $50 and has lots of extra features and really nice options for output to TV and Dolby Digital.

And, you can play on the computer while the movie is playing on the TV.

G

Don't know about the Hollywood Plus but, any Geforce II MX with TV Out can do that. The Asus 7100 is a good choice. You can even find a very cheap card with "Twin View" (play games and watch DVD at the same time); it's the MSI StarForce (The Tv-Out version)

:)

G

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I'd go for the ASUS AGP-7100/T GeForce2 MX with Twin View as long as it is also very good in 3D games. Is the 7100 better in 3D gaming than the V3800. It was written in the specs that if you want quality 3D gaming, go for V3800. The problem is I want both. I like DVD and 3D games.

Do you think 7100 can handle 3D better than the V3800?

G

Another one, I just learned that it is recommended that you use an Intel chipset with the 7100. Will my A7V for Athlon affect the performance of the video card? Or will it work with a non-Intel chipset? I think the chipset for A7V are:

- VIA VT8363(KT133) AGPset that supports 200MHz FSB and 3.3V PC133 SDRAM & VC133 VCM (Virtual Channel Memory)
- VIA 82C686A South Bridge & Super I/O to Support ACPI, SMBus, and Integrated AC ' 97 Compliant Audio Controller