Video Card Help

cook10

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hello All,
I am hoping someone can help me with an issue I am having. I have two video cards here that I am working with and I trying to figure out why a newer card seems to slack oppossed to the older card I have. What I am testing is a BFG GeForce 7900GS OC 256MB PCI-E and a EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB PCI-E. With the 7900GS installed I receive a 5.8 Windows Experience and I score 4942 3DMARKS (using 3DMARKS '06, unable to use newer Vantage, DX10 issue?). All of my games seem to run not too bad, including GHOSTBUSTERS, which calls for a much newer card. Now, when I install the 9500GT I get a 4.4 on Windows Experience and I score E8512 using 3DMARK Vantage. These scores are lower then usual, and I am aware it is not as high end as most but it does the trick on a budget. Here is my question, why does the newer card receive such a low base score as well as not improve my 3DMARK score by anything real significant. Which card should I run? The 7900GS does require PCI-E power where the 9500GT does not. I have been thinking about going to either the GTS 250 or 260 after christmas but unsure about that as I already have two cards here that don't seem to make a difference. If someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. At this point I am confused and tired of endless hours of playing around to make things work. Also, overclocking does not seem to do me any good either. I've done so with both cards as well as CPU and it actually gave me lower scores. All the newest drivers were loaded as well as software. Here is what I am currently running:

Core 2 Duo E7500 @ stock speed 2.93GHZ (have overclocked successfully to 3.6GHZ stable so far)
Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 CPU Cooler w/ Artic Silver 5 Paste
2 X 2GB DDR 2 1066MHZ Patriot Viper Memory
MSI P45 NEO OC Classic MOBO
500W Cooler Master PSU
Acer X233H Wide LCD
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

cook10

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Thank you for all the input, I tried the 9500GT out last night on a couple of games. I didn't notice any difference really so I am going back to the 7900GS until I can find a good deal on either the 250 or 260. I was averaging about 20-30 FPS on Ghostbusters & 20 FPS on Fuel. It wasn't great I have to say, hoping that either or those other cards will make a difference. It seems my CPU & Memory are where I want them to be. Again thank you for the help, I love this forum.