Video card issue or upgrade

atxdiablo

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Not sure off hand what video is but it only a year old built into the motherboard. It does have hdmi out and dvi out, but if I try to hook up my provide rx-326 LCD HDTV. The tv isn't showing anything And my samsung 226bw turns off. I have to unplug the hdmi to get my monitor to work again. Would this because my video?
If I was to upgrade my video card any choices? The HDTV is primarily used for watching movies and downloaded tv shows, so there both not usually being used
xo plan on getting a led tv
I'll post pc specs when I get home from avatar. I am pretty sure video is only issue
eddit: amd athlon 64 x2 dual
core 5200+
2.7 ghz 2.96 gb ram
XFX MI-A78S-8209

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Most likely the onboard video is not strong enough to operate both at the same time. Can you plug in the HDTV and use it by itself? (Just to rule out HDMI specific issues with the card?)

What is the size and resolution of the HDTV?

For a new card - will this be its only application or do you also do gaming?

For just a basic card to use with video and very light gaming, I suggest this one:

ASUS EAH4650/DI/512MD2/A(LP) Radeon HD 4650 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card - Retail - $55 + $6 shipping = $61 out of pocket - $20 mail in rebate = $41 net cost

Although this one should also do the job with no significant gaming:

ASUS EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card - Retail - $35 - $15 mail in rebate = $20 with free shipping