thforjason

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I cannot decide to get a really good video card to play games or just buy a game console. I am affraid that by using the computer to play games too much, I will wear down the CPU, the RAM, and the video card itself. Then I cannot use the computer for the other things. Just what kind of negative effects does frequent game playing have on the compter, especially those resource-hungry games?

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
You cant wear down any component like that, unless you overclock them too much, then you have a chance of damaging them. But otherwise, the doping on the silicon lasts for quite a while.

Get a Good G/C if you like PC type games: RTS, Tactical Action, FPS etc.
Get a console if you like console type games: racing, beat'em ups etc.
- Get a PS2/XBox if you like good games.
- Get a Gamecube if you are aged between 2 - 12 and like Mario Bros. :wink:

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I say get both. I've got a PC and a PS2, both excellent for games but for different reasons. SSX and Star Wars Starfighter are superb on the PS2 but UT stinks on PS2, you've got play UT on a PC to get a good game.

Look at the size of that thing!

G

Keep your PC and purchase an XBOX. I've been following MS since 1999 when it was just a rumored and this is a leap for the previous generations in tearms of power and developer friendly enviornment. If the developers like it the best expect their most creative work to be shown there in all its splendor.

WMTJ

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Biggest problem for XBOX is that there is such a massive PS1 owner base who will be able to play their ps1 games on their PS2 in enhanced mode.

Will xbox play DVD's?

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
It will play DVD's. I know a few people who used to have playstations but now have ps2's. The first couple of weeks they were playing ttt and ssx, then all their psx games. Now that the novelty's worn off, they're annoyed that there aren't enough good games out.

They don't want to re-play all the current psx games they own. The XBox wont be released with too many games, but hopefully the novelty period with the "show" games will be long enough for more games to be released.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Must admit I'm disappointed on the speed of game release for PS2. Star wars is good, but where are Wipeout, Metal Gear or Gauntlet, they all look stonking but keep on slipping.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
After looking at the futer Xbox line up of game titles, I've been convinced. Not to mention it will actually be cheaper than a similarly equipped PS2 by $150 or so. With the exception of MetalGearSolid2 (I'm sure Final Fantasy wont dissapoint me), I have yet to be impressed with anything the PS2 cooked up. I still think many DreamCast games look as decent as PS2 games.

The only reason I didnt buy a Dreamcast was because I got duped by the Sega Saturn. I think Sega would still be around if the wouldn't have screwed everyone over with the Saturn/SegaCD/32x fiasco.

If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.