Video Card Power supply

mikel96413

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I have an HP Slimline s3400f which has a 150 power supply. I would like to add a ATI 4650 video card (recommends 400W PS) and want to know if it will work in my PC. I really don't do gaming but plan to use its capability for photography programs like Mikon View etc. The spec on ATI's website says this card has a power draw of 48W what ever that means.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Other info;
Nvidia 430 MB
Anthlon 64 X2 5200+
4 GB RAM
Open PCI Slot
$500GB HD
Windows 7 64 bit OS

Thanks
MikeL96413

This slimline PC's are ment to run the stock components ONLY. I would highly recommend not installing anything additional especially a video card. If you need a higher end system, that is what you need. Slim Pc's are mostly business use and very light use with no advanced graphics. Sorry if that isn't the answer you want, but it is the truth. 150w isn't much to work with.

mikel96413

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008

Thanks for the honesty and insight jay2tall! Last question...Are their any power supply upgrade options?

Thanks again!!!

Unfortunitly, probably not. It looks like an HP proprietary PSU. If its a standard spec you could try and fine what that is and get a replacement, but most times they aren't cheap. You could probably, at most get a low-pro 8400GS or something to run in that PC, but it won't go beyond that.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
So long as the power supply meets the ATX Spec you could get a larger one and just let it sit outside the case and have the wires run in where the old Power supply was, its not the best solution, but that would be the only way to power a more powerful video card. The other issue is the amount of room in the case for a video card, you would probably be looking for a half-height card which are somewhat hard to come by.

mikel96413

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I think the best route at this point is to stick with what I have until my next computer upgrade which I think I will build myself so I get exactly what I want.

Have a great holiday!!!!

itry2hard

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Resurecting this thread, I also have a slimline.

and I have found power supplies for the slimlines only a 300w PSU tho.
KDM 300W MFX9300

with this power supply, and just a cheap 9500gt (low profile of course) you'll be good.

But dont discard the slimline just cause its hard to upgrade.. its great for being part of your entertainment system.