Question Video Card Pricing Flucutations

High-Energy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2019
Is there something that occurred in the market in the past 48 hours that I missed? Amazon (and others) just raised pricing on all premium cards by $150+. I purchased a card from them for $804 and it arrived damaged. Amazon's system wouldn't allow for a replacement so I had to re-order. The reorder price was $150 more and Amazon was the seller (my previous order Amazon was seller too).

Try creating a new account. Go incognito (private browsing) on a NON Apple OS. Redo the price. But to be honest, camel camel camel reflects the price history most accurately. They usually adjust price based on demand, and they are trying to find their comfy middle to make the most profit. It's a juggling game of offloading all current gen cards before next gen arrives, while maximizing profit. They also judge it against crypto gains in ETH, which is just nonsense. Anybody who buys to get into ETH crypto mining now is just stupid. They see ETH went from 1002 to 1800 in just 2 weeks and they think Crypto is back, so they can charge what they want. But the real operating cost do not support this.

High-Energy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2019
Try creating a new account. Go incognito (private browsing) on a NON Apple OS. Redo the price. But to be honest, camel camel camel reflects the price history most accurately. They usually adjust price based on demand, and they are trying to find their comfy middle to make the most profit. It's a juggling game of offloading all current gen cards before next gen arrives, while maximizing profit. They also judge it against crypto gains in ETH, which is just nonsense. Anybody who buys to get into ETH crypto mining now is just stupid. They see ETH went from 1002 to 1800 in just 2 weeks and they think Crypto is back, so they can charge what they want. But the real operating cost do not support this.

I'm not sure what creating a new account is going to do. Maybe I misunderstood your reply.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I'm not sure what creating a new account is going to do. Maybe I misunderstood your reply.

He's saying to create a new account and use incognito/private browsing (vpn too if possible), because the pricing can vary based on your purchase history and your location. Cookies, website trackers and geolocation are used to calculate stuff like that, among other things.

High-Energy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2019
He's saying to create a new account and use incognito/private browsing (vpn too if possible), because the pricing can vary based on your purchase history and your location. Cookies, website trackers and geolocation are used to calculate stuff like that, among other things.

Interesting. I did try that (and was on VPN too), but it didn't change anything.

High-Energy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2019
BTW, this is the item from Amazon. It went from about $804 to $942

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 LHR 10GB GDRR6X 320-Bit HDMI/DP Nvlink Torx Fan 4 RGB Ampere Architecture OC Graphics Card (RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio 10G LHR)

Quite correct. A number of methods are used to determine prices these days. Now Amazon doesn't change prices just because you are you. CamelCamelCamel proves this. Everyone gets charged the same price. Doesn't mean other companies don't do it though.

Just set a price alert on camelcamelcamel and wait. Prices are heading back down. I'm sure you'll hit your original price within a month.
<SPAM links removed by moderator. You have been here long enough to know better>

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS is why I always use Firefox in permanent incognito, in Strict privacy mode, with extra privacy settings enabled in the backend config. On top of that I throw in uBlock Origin (the absolute BEST browser blocker - period).

Edit - There was a recent price hike. Most major retailers may have just contacted each other, secretly, and agreed to all raise prices at once.

USAFRet

Titan
Is there something that occurred in the market in the past 48 hours that I missed? Amazon (and others) just raised pricing on all premium cards by $150+. I purchased a card from them for $804 and it arrived damaged. Amazon's system wouldn't allow for a replacement so I had to re-order. The reorder price was $150 more and Amazon was the seller (my previous order Amazon was seller too).
How is this simply not just a return to Amazon?

They are generally VERY easy to return in the first 30 days. Especially with damaged shipping.

rgd1101

Don't

High-Energy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2019
How is this simply not just a return to Amazon?

They are generally VERY easy to return in the first 30 days. Especially with damaged shipping.

I probably wasn't clear. I did return it, because they wouldn't allow a replacement. But, they wouldn't honor the lower price when I reordered due to it being damaged (it was sent in a plastic bag - no protection).

High-Energy

Commendable
Dec 17, 2019
Yep, thats another consideration.

I didn't want to deal with purchasing from a 3rd party, as I've heard too many horror stories. Amazon is generally very accomodating and understanding, but this time they wouldn't budge on honoring the old price. I did point out the original order was damaged and it was sent in just a plastic bag, but that didn't seem to matter to them. I'll be waiting at this point then.

USAFRet

Titan
I didn't want to deal with purchasing from a 3rd party, as I've heard too many horror stories. Amazon is generally very accomodating and understanding, but this time they wouldn't budge on honoring the old price. I did point out the original order was damaged and it was sent in just a plastic bag, but that didn't seem to matter to them. I'll be waiting at this point then.
The first purchase at $804 was from a 3rd party?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I was hoping for a more definitive answer
Not really possible(?), since everyone has different values on money and stuff.

That card is 8% more money for... well, it's game dependent, but reviews show gains(%) in the single digits.
If that's worth it to you, then it is.
My opinion? I won't notice a difference(performance) that small. Being 50 bucks shorter though, would be more noticeable.