video card rebooting PC

sorry guys, i asked this before but my ISP's news server has lost the
messages already.

whilst playing games, or a 3d screensaver, sometimes my mates PC will
reboot.

could his video card be over heating? it isnt over clocked. its a XP system
and a Radeon 9600xt

tia

Spagman

"Spagman" <spagman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> sorry guys, i asked this before but my ISP's news server has lost the
> messages already.
>
> whilst playing games, or a 3d screensaver, sometimes my mates PC will
> reboot.
>
> could his video card be over heating? it isnt over clocked. its a XP
system
> and a Radeon 9600xt

Doesn't the 9600xt auto-overclock? They say, and I have experienced, that
the slot next to the AGP card should be empty ( and the next if possible
when oc'ing ). I have also heard, and experienced, that some stock cards
have too much lousy thermal grease on the gpu... Many say, and I have
experienced that it help to lower the temps if the old is removed and good
new is applied ( not for the faint of heart, or the in warrantee... ).
Eh...