Video Card Recommendation Please

I am not a gamer, but would like a dependable video card
for general use with my P4C800E Deluxe. ATI or
Nvidia ? I am having vertical lines with my card (AIW9700Pro) and
can't seem to resolve it. I've reinstalled drivers but no use.
ATI help desk is useless.
Thanks.

Okoidogo@hotmail.com wrote:
> I am not a gamer, but would like a dependable video card
> for general use with my P4C800E Deluxe. ATI or
> Nvidia ? I am having vertical lines with my card (AIW9700Pro) and
> can't seem to resolve it. I've reinstalled drivers but no use.

I think first we must determine the root of the problem.

Have you tried a different screen or video card to pinpoint the problem?

Do you use an LCD or a CRT?

If CRT, have you tried moving it to the middle of the room? (seriously, to avoid unknown sources of interference).

What do these vertical lines look like?

Ben

Have found the cause..I think. I took the card out to examine it and
found that I had mistakenly broken a component on the board. I can't
identify the component except that it has 1.0 and 1.6 written on it -
very small about 1/8 inc by 1/8 in. Looks like while I was replacing
the motherboard, I was careless with the video card. I remember I had
all the cards pilled up on my desk for a couple of days and kids
around.

Okoidogo@hotmail.com wrote:
> Have found the cause..I think. I took the card out to examine it and
> found that I had mistakenly broken a component on the board. I can't
> identify the component except that it has 1.0 and 1.6 written on it -
> very small about 1/8 inc by 1/8 in. Looks like while I was replacing
> the motherboard, I was careless with the video card. I remember I had
> all the cards pilled up on my desk for a couple of days and kids
> around.

Yes, well... that might be it!

If you want, I can try to find out what it is (if you send me a picture).

Otherwise, grab a cheap ATI card, I mean, if you don't use 3D, anything from a 7500 will do.

Ben

Thanks, will have a photo sent to you. I am planning on buying a Tv
card later on, and use the computer for the occassional photo editing.
Will your recommendation still stand ? Is there a Nvidia equivalent ?
Thanks.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:25:18 +0100, Ben Pope
<benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote:

>Okoidogo@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Have found the cause..I think. I took the card out to examine it and
>> found that I had mistakenly broken a component on the board. I can't
>> identify the component except that it has 1.0 and 1.6 written on it -
>> very small about 1/8 inc by 1/8 in. Looks like while I was replacing
>> the motherboard, I was careless with the video card. I remember I had
>> all the cards pilled up on my desk for a couple of days and kids
>> around.
>
>Yes, well... that might be it!
>
>If you want, I can try to find out what it is (if you send me a picture).
>
>Otherwise, grab a cheap ATI card, I mean, if you don't use 3D, anything from a 7500 will do.
>
>Ben

Hi, If u want a really good card use a Radeon X800 XT Platinum. A bit
pricy but very decent

hilly22 wrote:
> Hi, If u want a really good card use a Radeon X800 XT Platinum. A bit
> pricy but very decent

You seem to have sniopped the bit where he says he's not a gamer.

Tell me what advantage an X800XT Platinum has over, say a 9600 for a non-gamer.

Ben