Question video card shorting out power supply

Jan 27, 2023
New build, Mother board, processor, ram , Power supply and video, When I plug the power supply cable into the Asus Geforce 1660 Ti video card the system won't power on, even the CPU fan won't come on, if I unplug the video card from the 850 watt power supply the board comes up.
I went to the local PC shop and had the new power supply tested, it's ok.
With the video card outside of the computer( not in a slot) and I turn the power supply on with the switch on the back of the PS I can hear a click inside the PS, like the unit was going into current overload . If I put an old junk video card the machine will post, no problem,

Now here's the kicker, this is the second gforce card to have the same exact problem.
Background: The reason I put all new parts is the old system got wet (long story) while it was running, the only visible damage I saw at the time was water in the power supply and corrosion on some of the components on the video card.
I pulled out the video card and bought a new 850 watt power supply and video card, I powered up the old system and it posted using the mother board video, I then installed a new video card (geforce RTX 2060) and it too shorted the power supply, at this point I thought that the PCI slots must have taken a hit also, so I ordered all new parts.
Is this possible two different Gforce cards, one from new egg and one from amazon?
This isn't my first build and it's driving me nuts. I've just ordered another video card from Newegg another brand XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 , third times the charm.
Dave

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model 850 Watt PSU(s)? How did the shop test the PSU(s)?

Modular?

Were (or are) cables from any other PSUs being used to make power connections?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity? Clean Windows install?

= = = =

"If I put an old junk video card the machine will post, no problem, " [Make and model?]

Just to be clear: is that video card being installed inside or outside (not slotted)?

Summarize what combinations booted and worked and those that did not boot and work.

What is the common component? If there is just one.....

Jan 27, 2023
New build, Mother board, processor, ram , Power supply and video, When I plug the power supply cable into the Asus Geforce 1660 Ti video card the system won't power on, even the CPU fan won't come on, if I unplug the video card from the 850 watt power supply the board comes up.
I went to the local PC shop and had the new power supply tested, it's ok.
With the video card outside of the computer( not in a slot) and I turn the power supply on with the switch on the back of the PS I can hear a click inside the PS, like the unit was going into current overload . If I put an old junk video card the machine will post, no problem,

Now here's the kicker, this is the second gforce card to have the same exact problem.
Background: The reason I put all new parts is the old system got wet (long story) while it was running, the only visible damage I saw at the time was water in the power supply and corrosion on some of the components on the video card.
I pulled out the video card and bought a new 850 watt power supply and video card, I powered up the old system and it posted using the mother board video, I then installed a new video card (geforce RTX 2060) and it too shorted the power supply, at this point I thought that the PCI slots must have taken a hit also, so I ordered all new parts.
Is this possible two different Gforce cards, one from new egg and one from amazon?
This isn't my first build and it's driving me nuts. I've just ordered another video card from Newegg another brand XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 , third times the charm.
Dave

After the machine wouldn't post I disconnected all external cables to the mother board, USB, Power to Hard drives, SATA to hard drives, & cooling fans, the CPU fan was the only power device connected to the mother board.

Mother board: newegg p/n N82E16813119513, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming Mother board.
Procesor: newegg p/n N82E16819118359, Intel Core i7-12700F - Core i7 12th Gen Alder Lake processor.
Ram: Newegg p/n N82E16820236826, CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5.
Video card: Newegg p/n N82E16814126538, ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Ti EVO OC Edition 6GB.
Power supply: CorsairRM850X, modular.
Windows 10.

I found it odd the the machine wouldn't post using the on-board video but the machine would not post without a video card.
Using all the new parts except for the new video card, and using an older PCI video card the machine was able to post.
The the person at the PC shop I took the computer to said that they had tested the power supply and it was ok, the PCI video card that they tried didn't have the power connector on it., the computer powered up and posted

I used the cables that came with the new supply,

Jan 27, 2023
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model 850 Watt PSU(s)? How did the shop test the PSU(s)?

Modular?

Were (or are) cables from any other PSUs being used to make power connections?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity? Clean Windows install?

= = = =

"If I put an old junk video card the machine will post, no problem, " [Make and model?]

Just to be clear: is that video card being installed inside or outside (not slotted)?

Summarize what combinations booted and worked and those that did not boot and work.

What is the common component? If there is just one.....

Jan 27, 2023
After the machine wouldn't post I disconnected all external cables to the mother board, USB, Power to Hard drives, SATA to hard drives, & cooling fans, the CPU fan was the only power device connected to the mother board.

Mother board: newegg p/n N82E16813119513, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming Mother board.
Procesor: newegg p/n N82E16819118359, Intel Core i7-12700F - Core i7 12th Gen Alder Lake processor.
Ram: Newegg p/n N82E16820236826, CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5.
Video card: Newegg p/n N82E16814126538, ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Ti EVO OC Edition 6GB.
Power supply: CorsairRM850X, modular.
Windows 10.

I found it odd the the machine wouldn't post using the on-board video but the machine would not post without a video card.
Using all the new parts except for the new video card, and using an older PCI video card the machine was able to post.
The the person at the PC shop I took the computer to said that they had tested the power supply and it was ok, the PCI video card that they tried didn't have the power connector on it., the computer powered up and posted

I used the cables that came with the new supply,

Ralston18

Titan
Provided that I have understood everything correctly all has now worked except for the new video card.

However, I am not sure about "the PCI video card that they tried didn't have the power connector on it., the computer powered up and posted "

Noted:

"Using all the new parts except for the new video card, and using an older PCI video card the machine was able to post. "

What video card did the PC shop try?

Did they try the new video card?

Does the new video card work at all if installed in some other known working system?

The troubleshooting requirement is that each component be individually tested in a known working environment (host computer) without any other component changes.

Not an easy process and the troubleshooting process must be methodical. Only one thing at a time should be changed. Including slots and cables.

TRENDING THREADS