[SOLVED] Video card slot support

gilead7

Honorable
Jul 15, 2015
I've been building a new system z390 gigabyte board , an intel 9900k cpu, and a 2070super video card. The case I have is very tight so I've had to do everything in stages. This I realized after putting in the video card and not being able to access the other things that were needed to be accessed. In my attempt to pull the video card back out again, I did not know about the release on the slot and it broke. This is a large and heavy card. Are there replacements available or do I need to send it back to gigabyte and wait another 4 weeks? I've looked at a support brace. Is that what I need and what is recommended? Thanks in advance!

Solution
New board. There's no fixes for a busted retention clip I've ever seen that are viable repairs.

The only way around needing that is if you use a riser cable which has next to no weight, or some way to keep the gpu inside the slot, like sideways pressure. It's the weight of the card + vibrations from the gpu fans that'll gradually pull the card out of the slot unless you get very lucky and the gpu retention screws and framing at the rear of the case are a strong enough system to prevent the card from moving.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
New board. There's no fixes for a busted retention clip I've ever seen that are viable repairs.

The only way around needing that is if you use a riser cable which has next to no weight, or some way to keep the gpu inside the slot, like sideways pressure. It's the weight of the card + vibrations from the gpu fans that'll gradually pull the card out of the slot unless you get very lucky and the gpu retention screws and framing at the rear of the case are a strong enough system to prevent the card from moving.

Solution

gilead7

Honorable
Jul 15, 2015

So a support brace is not the answer? If the ribbon cable is connected to the port and the other end to the video card where does the video card go?

Last edited:

gilead7

Honorable
Jul 15, 2015
Lay the pc on the side.
The gpu weight should keep it inserted.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Perhaps you can use a different pcie slot.
Even if you have to use a x8 slot, there will be negligible difference in performance.
Having the pc on its side permanantly is not an option in this case. The case is already on the tight side so using the other x8 slot isn't going to work. Why would the brace not work?