Video card stopping power supply?

mrhoohah

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Howdy everyone, I searched for a long time but couldn't find anything as odd as this.

I gave my old iDeq 210v to a friend of mine, and he bought a new graphics card for it: a Sapphire AGP Radeon HD 3850. It works just fine in another old AGP computer of another friend's collection, although I don't have the specs for that one.

The stock power supply for the iDeq is only 220w, so the new owner bought a 650w, which works perfectly fine in the iDeq so long as the graphics card is not plugged into the power supply. However, as soon as you try to power the computer on with the graphics card plugged into the power supply, you hear a slight whine for a split second, and the fan doesn't even start up on the power supply. We tried 3 other power supplies (the old 220w, a 580w and an 800w), and they all react the same way. All four power supplies are providing power at least to the motherboard "pilot light" but any attempts to turn on the computer with the graphics card connected to the power supply fail this same way.

Any ideas what can be done to remedy this? Thanks a bunch!

mrhoohah

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
That's what I would think if the card didn't work in another system, which I pointed out in the second paragraph, although it may not have been that clear. I suppose it could have died in between then and now, however.