video card upgrade Dell XPS 8500 question

motorguy

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I have a Dell XPS 8500 with the original AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card. I just got a new Dell U2715 monitor and the cables are not compatible with the monitor port on the card. I've been wanting to upgrade anyway. My question is will an NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 work using the original PSU which I believe is 460W.

Solution
I was thinking about getting a GT 730 myself, and I'm confident it'll run on my rig which has a Corsair CX 430 80+ bronze PSU. However, there's no need for any hasty upgrades if you just need to use a new monitor. You can pick up a nice little DVI to HDMI adapter for under 4$ and it'll work great. I have one that I use for one of my monitors and it's fantastically simple and effective.

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015
I was thinking about getting a GT 730 myself, and I'm confident it'll run on my rig which has a Corsair CX 430 80+ bronze PSU. However, there's no need for any hasty upgrades if you just need to use a new monitor. You can pick up a nice little DVI to HDMI adapter for under 4$ and it'll work great. I have one that I use for one of my monitors and it's fantastically simple and effective.

Solution

motorguy

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

motorguy

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm a bit confused. Looking at the back of the 7570 card, there are two ports, one HDMI and one plug that I have a VGA cable from my current monitor plugged into with an adaptor. I remember when I got my 24" Dell monitor it had an odd plug in, I think it's a DVI. So, do I get a DVI to to DP, a DVI to Mini DP or just use one of the HDMI ports on the monitor to the HDMI port on the 7570 card. As usual, the Dell install instructions are worthless at best.

motorguy

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I should have done some additional research. I find there is a DVI to DP cable that I can get to connect the Radeon HD 7570 DVI port to the new monitor. I assume I could also use an HDMI cable from the card to the monitor as well. Thanks for the help!

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015

The only simple adapters that i know work for sure is DVI to HDMI because both cords run a similar digital signal. I don't know much about display ports so I wouldn't trust any passive adapters on that. if the monitor has and HDMI port and your card has an HDMI port just connect it directly with HDMI.

motorguy

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Great advice. I'll give that a try first and if all is well, leave it at that until I upgrade video cards. I'm thinking about building a machine so if I don't have to change cards on the Dell I'm ahead of the game. Thanks for your help.