Video card upgrade question....

In order to run a dual monitors, I'm about to upgrade my video card.
Although this will take place in a machine I built myself, this will be
the first time I've upgraded this particular component. I'd like to do
it right.

Is the proper order??

(1) Remove current card drivers.
(2) Use XP's Manager to delete the current Display Adapter.
(3) Turn 'puter off. Disconnect all the stuff in back.
(4) Install new card. Reconnect all the stuff in back.
(5) Turn 'puter on.
(5) Install new drivers/graphics software.

I've done some online searches, and this seems to be the typical
approach. If anybody has alternate sections or a preferred online
tutorial, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks and regards....

<libertyroad@hometownusa.com> wrote in message
> In order to run a dual monitors, I'm about to upgrade my video card.
> Although this will take place in a machine I built myself, this will be
> the first time I've upgraded this particular component. I'd like to do
> it right.
>
> Is the proper order??
>
> (1) Remove current card drivers.
> (2) Use XP's Manager to delete the current Display Adapter.
> (3) Turn 'puter off. Disconnect all the stuff in back.
> (4) Install new card. Reconnect all the stuff in back.
> (5) Turn 'puter on.
> (5) Install new drivers/graphics software.
>
> I've done some online searches, and this seems to be the typical
> approach. If anybody has alternate sections or a preferred online
> tutorial, I'd sure appreciate it.
>
> Thanks and regards....

Yes. Looks good. Do yourself a favor and download the latest drivers for
both MONITORS from the manufacturer's web site and install those before step
(1) above. It would also be a good idea to test both monitors on your
current video card (one at a time, if necessary) to make sure that windows
recognizes both by proper model number and allows you to set high
resolutions on both. That is, if one of your monitors is stuck at 640 due
to a driver problem, throwing a new video card into the mix could complicate
things even further. If you get the right software for your monitors on
there FIRST, they are more likely to be properly recognized after the new
video card is installed. You'll still probably have to go into the control
panel to turn on monitor number two, even after all hardware is properly
installed. -Dave

I might be old-fashioned about this stuff, but...

I like to do uninstalls of hardware and such from Safe Mode. I know that in
98 I used to look in SM's Device Mgr. now and then only to find all sorts of
things there that I had gotten rid of. Can't say if it's true in XP as I
always just do it this way now.

"Dave C." wrote:

> <libertyroad@hometownusa.com> wrote in message
> > In order to run a dual monitors, I'm about to upgrade my video card.
> > Although this will take place in a machine I built myself, this will be
> > the first time I've upgraded this particular component. I'd like to do
> > it right.
> >
> > Is the proper order??
> >
> > (1) Remove current card drivers.
> > (2) Use XP's Manager to delete the current Display Adapter.
> > (3) Turn 'puter off. Disconnect all the stuff in back.
> > (4) Install new card. Reconnect all the stuff in back.
> > (5) Turn 'puter on.
> > (5) Install new drivers/graphics software.
> >
> > I've done some online searches, and this seems to be the typical
> > approach. If anybody has alternate sections or a preferred online
> > tutorial, I'd sure appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks and regards....
>
> Yes. Looks good. Do yourself a favor and download the latest drivers for
> both MONITORS from the manufacturer's web site and install those before step
> (1) above. It would also be a good idea to test both monitors on your
> current video card (one at a time, if necessary) to make sure that windows
> recognizes both by proper model number and allows you to set high
> resolutions on both. That is, if one of your monitors is stuck at 640 due
> to a driver problem, throwing a new video card into the mix could complicate
> things even further. If you get the right software for your monitors on
> there FIRST, they are more likely to be properly recognized after the new
> video card is installed. You'll still probably have to go into the control
> panel to turn on monitor number two, even after all hardware is properly
> installed. -Dave

Thanks for the advice!
The monitors are the identical model...one I've had for a while, the
second a discounted floor model...

Sounds good.

--
DaveW

DaveW wrote:

> Sounds good.
>
> --
> DaveW
>
> <libertyroad@hometownusa.com> wrote in message
> > In order to run a dual monitors, I'm about to upgrade my video card.
> > Although this will take place in a machine I built myself, this will be
> > the first time I've upgraded this particular component. I'd like to do
> > it right.
> >
> > Is the proper order??
> >
> > (1) Remove current card drivers.
> > (2) Use XP's Manager to delete the current Display Adapter.
> > (3) Turn 'puter off. Disconnect all the stuff in back.
> > (4) Install new card. Reconnect all the stuff in back.
> > (5) Turn 'puter on.
> > (5) Install new drivers/graphics software.
> >
> > I've done some online searches, and this seems to be the typical
> > approach. If anybody has alternate sections or a preferred online
> > tutorial, I'd sure appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks and regards....

Thanks to all who answered. The card swap and monitor addition went
relatively painlessly. In addition to the actual monitors installed,
there are three lingering "Default Monitor" entries in the Device
Manager that are associated with the new video card, but don't have any
associated drivers.

In addition, although both monitors have DVI input (the card is a
Gainward GeForce FX5700 Ultra 980), only one of the two is indicating as
such in the Device Manager.

I'm still figuring out the nuances of the two-monitor display, including
how to get the same (or more similar) colors in the two display...there
are some distinct shadint/cast differences.

Neither the coloration nor the extra monitor entries in the Device
Manager seem to be interfering with operation in anyway...just issues
for the overly detail oriented:)

> I'm still figuring out the nuances of the two-monitor display, including
> how to get the same (or more similar) colors in the two display...there
> are some distinct shadint/cast differences.

There always will be differences between the two monitors. If you had two
brand new monitors of the exact same model number, there would be
differences. You can adjust brightness, contrast and color temperature
settings all you want to. If it allows you to, you can tweak red, green and
blue color levels individually. If you take the time to do this, your two
monitors will end up looking similar. You'll never get them to be a perfect
match, though. And they will age differently. So even if you get them
close enough, you will have to repeat the process every once in a while, if
you care to keep them close enough. -Dave

"Dave C." wrote:

> > I'm still figuring out the nuances of the two-monitor display, including
> > how to get the same (or more similar) colors in the two display...there
> > are some distinct shadint/cast differences.
> >

> There always will be differences between the two monitors. If you had two
> brand new monitors of the exact same model number, there would be
> differences. You can adjust brightness, contrast and color temperature
> settings all you want to. If it allows you to, you can tweak red, green and
> blue color levels individually. If you take the time to do this, your two
> monitors will end up looking similar. You'll never get them to be a perfect
> match, though. And they will age differently. So even if you get them
> close enough, you will have to repeat the process every once in a while, if
> you care to keep them close enough. -Dave

--Thanks. And here I figured it was just one of my eyeballs out of
calibration:)