Video Card Upgrade stops windows at cmos

Arel346

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Mobo: Intel DG33FB (BIOS Version Intel Corp. DPP3510J.86A.0372.2008.0129.0418 dated 1/29/2008)
8gb DDR2 memory
PSU: Antec dual 12vRail 650w
Video card: (Current and runs) Radeon HD 6670
Trying to upgrade to a Radeon RX480 (4gb/256)
Windows 10 Pro

The 6670 was in when windows upgraded it self from 7 to 10. During my first attempt to upgrade the card I powered the machine down, removed the 6670, put the RX480 in, and the pc didn't even try to start. I thought it was power supply however the manufacturer of both cards (XFX) confirmed that the RX480 can and will run on 300w so I have plenty of power. I took the 480 back out and launched with onboard video. It took a full one and a half hours for the pc to get to it's desktop and when it finally did it ran slower than ever. So I put the 6670 back in and again it took an hour and a half for a desktop to be displayed. Windows 10 also de-activates when I changed hardware, which I was unaware of but I think I'm passed that issue now that I've linked my Microsoft Account to the activation.

I then uninstalled the 6670 through windows device manager and tried to install the 480 again. This time, and where I'm stuck now is that the pc tries to fire up but it gets stuck on the Intel screen with 5A displayed in the lower right corner. I can't even get into BIOS, it freezes that quickly.

I considered the fact that maybe my board is too old but after speaking with XFX and Intel technical support they both confirm that my hardware should run the RX480. Why is it freezing at cmos??? Did I receive a faulty card? I believe that to be plausible but the card indicates everything is ok with it. I have the "happy" blue light where power plugs in to the card and the fans on the card run when it first starts but stop after a few seconds (I assume the card's fans stop when the computer locks up).

Is it possible that if I uninstall the 6670 and install the 480 drivers and software before I restart and put the 480 in...that will work?? I'm going to try that next.

Edit: Added bios version and realize there is a newer bios upgrade. I will do that if what Wups suggested doesn't work.

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

1.Reinstall the 6670 or boot into safe mode to uninstall all 6670 drivers.
2.Reinstall the 480 and check if it boots,if it does great, if not, remove CMOS battery for 5 mins then put it back in.
3.If it still does not boot,boot into safe mode to see if anything else can be uninstalled to do with the old GPU.
4.(Im not sure what cpu you have but if you have one with intergrated GPU),then go into BIOS and disable IGD GPU and force PCIE video output.
Hope this helps, it should work fine after this. Good Luck! :)

Arel346

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Wups: Tried that. The first thing the new cards installation setup tries to do is detect AMD hardware. Since the card is not in the machine right after uninstalling the old card...installation stops there. I had attempted uninstalling the old card and launching with integrated graphics with the new card in the slot after I set bios to run the onboard graphics as primary. After it taking an hour and a half, again, to get to the desktop there were several things not right.
- My CPU was pegged at 99%, memory was only running just below 2%. That's backwards (and only happens when using integrated graphics).
- Because of the situation above (CPU maxed out) windows runs like tree sap. Getting anything to launch, even task manager, takes longer than most people might have the patience for.
- I did manage to get to the new card's software through all of the lag to attempt installing it however, again, it failed detecting the card even though it was plugged in, powered on with the blue light, and fans running the entire time windows struggled to launch.
If I would change my monitor to the input from the new card it was just a black screen until windows started, then when windows started it was No Signal.

Night owl: Since there is no access to safe mode in Windows 10 (I've tried to get in to it) before windows starts and windows takes 1.5 hours to start and then runs like a legless turtle booting in to safe mode is not very possible. Not impossible! I've tried it. Due to my CPU being maxed out and lagging it doesn't seem to recognize I'm holding the shift key. It doesn't recognize anything until several moments after I actually do it if it recognizes my action(s) at all.

Several things with my board are not up to date so I'm going to attempt updating the board to the latest things available and try again. Since I haven't changed this machines configuration in 9 years and it's run great for that long I didn't have good reason to keep an eye on such things.

I'll check in again when I have results from trying after the updates. Thank you all for trying to help me get this going. Much appreciated!!!