The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
My pc is this Intel Core2Duo E4400 2.4 ghz oc, 3 gb ram ddr2, asus eax1650 silent, asus p5ld2 se, spire 5x0 w.

I was thinking about buying a new power supply and gpu... I was thinking about a sapphire hd6950 and a corsair 550w

what do you think it would be better this upgarde or an upgrade to an phenom x4 and a gtx 460.

I am interested which would be more powerfull not about which is more efficient. Anyway the first choice would be cheaper

I play ib full hd this min on an 1080p resolution. Thx

rockyjohn

Distinguished
What is the make and model of your current PSU? You offer the option of the Phenom X4 and gtx 460 w/o a PSU upgrade, does that mean you know current system will handle theGTX 460?

If you have Intel Core2Duo CPU, and therefore an Intel based mobo, how will you upgrade to Phenom x4? What about mobo? And if mobo, memory for it?

I don't understand those options. You might want to visit http://www.upgradevideocards.com/ to review what you want to do and need to consider for an upgrade. Then come back list all system components and define your objectives and budget.

Zenthar

Distinguished
You want to play what game in full HD?

The HD6950 might be a little too high-end for your rig, you CPU might hold it back (how much, it would depend on the game, for some the CPU won't impact it at all). An ATI 5770 might be more than enough for you needs and save you at least 150$. If you know you will be upgrading the rest of your rig in the next 6 months and reuse that video card, then yes a 6950 might be ok.

jaguarmatt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
If you can OC your cpu to +3ghz, I would just get a GTX 460 1GB.
You should be able to play nearly all games with high settings at 1920x1080.

The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
So I have max $600 to spend on upgrading my pc. Sadly I live in Romania and here prices are higher... Anyway I want yo upgrade mainly my gpu+psu (power supply)... Of course puyying a dx11 mainstream or better would be bottlenexked by my old poor cpu... This why I have 2 choices: 1. high-end gpu+ psu or 2.mainstream gpu+psu+cpu... But the only chance to changr cheap my cpyu would be a phenom x4 on am3. But for this i have to buy a kit cpu+mb+ram ddr3.
The first choise would be cheaper and wirh rhe rest of the money I could buy a cooler for my cpu and by this having a dual core at 3ghz or more with oc.

What is better (doesnt matter how efficient)?
hd6950 and core2duo oc or phenom x4 and gtx460 :bounce: :bounce:

I won't fp any further upgrade for the next 2 years when I will buy a high-end computer... Mainly then for 3d modeling

FOR NOW I am interested to max out games in full hd... or at least to play smoothly at high aettings...

jaguarmatt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I would go for an AM2+ build and reuse the DDR2. =]

You'll save enough money to get a nice GPU.
A Phenom II x4 and a GTX 460 would be the better buy.

The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
:non: using AM2+... too old...
If it is to think about upgrading I'll use AM3... and i do not care about memory cause it is cheap.
But can anyone how big would be the limitayion produced by my pc with a hd6950 cause chosing this option I would be at least $100 bucks cheaper and for me it matters, :pt1cable:

The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
So please can anyone give me information, articles, reviews about gpu limitations by cpu...
FOr example I saw a test and an E2100 and a GTX460 work pretty good
In the worst case the limitation was about ~20 FPS case rather than the best CPU
For my is not a huge limitation... I mean I will use this PC mostly for games ;)
:na:
I can OC my cpu up to 2.6 ghz with this small stock cooler and probably ove 3 with a schyte mugen cooler

What type of mobo do you have?Maybe you can keep your current mobo and just upgrade the CPU.

But if your looking to max out all current games at your resoultion i would reccomend the 6950.And at 1080p that extra 2g of ram the 6950 has will make it even better.

The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I have as MB an ASUS P5LD2 SE... I don't know if it supports this kind of CPU's.. on the box it writes that it supports P4, PD, Celeron, Core2Duo, Core2Extreme... About buying I will buy them by licitation or how it is calle with the help of a friend so it will not be a disaseter if you give that links... I just found a review about a GTX460 put on 10 cpus from E2140 to 980X and it look like in games there is practical almost not difference in most of games from a 3 GHZ dual core cpu to a 980X... This for a mid end - low high...

I think I will take this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102914
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185147

So with this I will have a dual core cpu at 3ghz or more, hd6950 (hd6970 possible modding), 550w corsair, and i will put more ram to have 4 gb ddr2... does it starts to look good?

I will keep this system for 2 years so it is not for future...

How can I know what case I have?

If your mobo is Socket LGA775 then it will support those quad core's and i think it is.

Still just doesn't seem right running such a high end card on a dual core.I was always told that quad cores unleash high end cards maximum potential.And it is better in the long run to get a quad core because it will last more than 2 years.

And for the price you pay for tha PSU you could get a better one for the same price,have a look at this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
Same price but is bigger.They did have an Antec 650watt for sale but it is no longer there.

I am using a AM2+ build and not every one can afford to make the move to am3 as the added cost for the ram and the board is more than some can afford or willing to spend yet.

The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
My MB is LGA775 Intel 945P. But I had heard that on this socket is not like on 1156 or AM3. You can't just put any CPU with that socket. Corect me if I am wrong! If i can put any cpu with this socket I put an $100 for the CPU.

If you can put anything in it you can get the cheap quad cores that are around 2.5ghz and overclock that,i'm sure it will O.C. well maybe around 3.2ghz.Otherwise the regular quad cores are still very expensive.Up to you but you could even wait for the Sandy Bridge to come out,they have DDR3.

The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I do not care if there is a bottleneck as long as the game is playable... Pleas answer me how huge it would be if I keep a HD6950 on a Intel Core2Duo OC... I will raise the CPU frequency to make it be at the level of an E8000 it is already on class upped with the OC...
Keep in mind that I will play on high resolutions 1080p where limitations are smaller ... I like to max out games and in this situation the bottlenecks starts to vanish..

About bottlenecking I read that my cpu would be limitated even by an 8800GTS (I had not found information newer than 2009 about this cpu)... I have to say that I owned one and there was no bottleneck... I know there is huge difference between 8800 and 6950 but still...
I need your oppinion because for example they say on reviews that un need a quad core for gta 4 and i hadn't any problem with a dual core at max traffic... and it was the only game that stressed a lot my cpu...

So would be this combination so bad...

Zenthar

Distinguished
^+1 Not all LGA775 supported even C2D some were stuck with P4 and the 1st gen that supported C2D didn't all support the Wolfdale core (45nm), the OP's MB is one of them; it doesn't support anything with 45nm, at least not officially. The best he could probably upgrade to is some E6### series CPU.

The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I understood this... I need answer for the other problem... If I want to move on quad I will buy a Phenom X4 because it is the cheapest way and I do not want somthing for future, just for now... I want to know how bad would be a 6950 with a 3ghz dual core

You will not see any ware near the full performance of the card but games that are not cpu intensive will still see a massive boost in performance and will be forced into playing higher ress. I know that sounds strange but the cpu is typically the weak link for those like my self who play at a lower ress. As for the quad good luck and be careful about which wattage class that you aim for as not all boards can handle 125 and 140 watt class cpus.

The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I have to add... I usually don't play cpu dependent games such as rts or mmorpg....
Most games I play are survival horror, shooters, adventure, and simulators (this is the only type of games where I am cpu limited even now but I can survive for 2 years... )

Zenthar

Distinguished
My opinion stays unchanged, I still think a 5770 would be more than enough for your current build and your PSU probably delivers enough to support it, anything above a 6850 or GTX 460 1GB would just be overkill unless you plan on upgrading your PC in the next few months.

The Black Alchemist

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Understand that I don't have ant fixed plans in upgrading... HD5770 is to weak for Full HD and max details... If it is to not buy my love, 6950, i'll buy a 6850/560 and an upgrade to cpu to a phenom x4... understand that if I take the 6950 and PSU I'll have anothe 100-200 bucks for upgrading but I don not think there is anything to take in consideration in this money...