Video card/ video card driver crashing

k_13_w

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hello, I'm having quite the problem, when ever I do anything that really uses my Asus 4890 my system crashes. Sometimes Windows 7 can recover the driver . . . but if it doesn't my computer blue screens. I know the video card isnt bad because I used my old my old Evga 9500gt 1gb and my computer crashed somemore. Its not the drivers I have tried updating them and I get still have the crashing problem when I boot to my XP harddrive. I also have updated my motherboard drivers, and have tested my ram and cpu with Prime 95. Oh and I have tried to underclocking my 4890, and turning my fan settings on 100%.

CPU: Core 2 Quad, Q6600
RAM: Critical Ballistic DDR2 800 MHZ 2x 1gb 4-4-4-12
MB: Asus P5N-D
GPU: Asus 4980
PSU: Crosshair 750w

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Helltech

Distinguished
What is the tempurature of your 4890?

Also it very well could be the drivers, especially since you just stated you used a Nvidia and ATI product.

Download the latest Catalyst/ATI drivers from ATI/AMDs website.

Download driver sweeper.

Use the control panal to delete any Nvidia/ATI graphics drivers you have.

Use driver sweeper to delete an Nvidia/ATI DISAPLY drivers you have.

Restart the computer in safe mode and run driver sweeper again.

Restart the computer normally and install the latest Catalyst/ATI drivers you have. Restart the computer one last time.

This could fix your problem.

k_13_w

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

I'm running at 65c load and around 50c idle. I'll try to to update the drivers once again

k_13_w

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

I meant to say that I cleaned to old drivers. Still no luck at all. Zipzoomfly I will try 10.4 and tell what happens

k_13_w

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I would not use the latest driver. I would user 10.3 or 10.4 as they are the most stable right now. Use the Catalyst control center unistall feature to remove all ATI software, then run driversweeper just in case, and then check all your folders to make sure no ATI folders or files left.

Then install 10.4.
No luck with 10.4 following the steps you provided, does anyone else have ideas?

k_13_w

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I noticed I was getting an Bsod error Atikmag.sys, or something similar. Next time I get the Bsod I will be sure to write it down.
I am getting Bsod error "Atikmag.sys every once and awhile, but I'm also getting "Bug_Code_Usbdriver" error. I wouldn't think the two are connected, but maybe they are? Any ideas?