Question Video card vs motherboard on aging computer

eflan

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Right, I have an old computer that's still sufficient for my needs, but I'm starting to suspect the issue might be with the motherboard instead of the video card.

POST code of one long and two short began after the computer refused to wake from sleep one day. It's a gigabyte p67 board running an i5-2500k that lost the silicone lottery and isn't overclocked, and the manual says thus:

1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error

I pulled the video card (EVGA GTX 960) and resat it, and it worked until the next morning where it didn't wake from sleep. So I pulled it and resat it again, and no dice. I then replaced it with an even older video card (Radeon 6850) that's been sitting in a protective sleeve for years because I had never gotten around to selling it. It was a straight upgrade, and it wasn't faulty. And I got more beeps.

So, I reset the chmos, pulled the card, and tried for onboard graphics. And it's still yelling at me.

Is there something I forgot to check or do, or has the motherboard just gave it up after ten-ish years?

Thanks!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It may be worthwhile to pull everything out of case and check the motherboard closely for any damage, pull/replace all the connectors, RAM, CPU/re-paste and so forth. According to where you are located older refurb systems and used stuff of that age can be readily found super inexpensive. Consider what your time and trouble are worth to you in relation to a possible replace of it with something even a few gen newer. Should be readily available in the sub $100 range in the case of (such as) Optiplex type updates. A super quick no effort search shows the Dell MT case style i7 2600 build for just at $160 from Wal Mart. They are out there for less.

Given the age of the system it could well be a PSU issue, but don't think I would start part chasing an unknown for something that old when it can just be replaced.

If you wanted to actually throw a little more money, you can build a complete (refurb) 10105 system for sub $300 right now, less if you can reuse case and such.

eflan

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Thanks, both of you. The power supply is the newest thing there, I replaced it maybe 5 years ago with a gold rated seagate. Maybe four years ago? The original one thankfully didn't take anything out when it died, and if nothing else I wouldn't need a new power supply, video card (maybe) or case if I decided on a new budget build lol. And I can probably give my brother a call too and see what he has in a spare parts box.

I've tried it with and without one or both monitors plugged in (one is hdmi, one is... vga plugged into a DVI adaptor, I think. It's the blue one plugged into an off white adapter and made larger in the process), though I did neglect to mention that.

I gave it a hairdryer on coldshot cleaning after the second card didn't work even though it didn't really need it, and the motherboard physically looks fine, though I haven't started pulling ram and such. I'll give it a shot and see what's up.

I think I might be 'upgrading' after all as there's a few good candidates locally on both kijiji and marketplace. While getting a cheapie is a great idea, I do not really want to lose the ability to use two monitors, so they'd need to have room in the case for a video card and my existing power supply. Which might be a bit of a headache.

Thanks again!