video card

is this a good card to buy for a new system ?

256mb Gainward Fx ultra 880

any body here with this card wish to comment on it ?

"AndyNoSpam" <andynospam@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> is this a good card to buy for a new system ?
>
> 256mb Gainward Fx ultra 880
>
> any body here with this card wish to comment on it ?

Are you talking about GeForce FX 5700 256MB, this is a mainstrean card.
http://www.gainward.com/html/product/vga/fx/5700/880tvdvi.htm
Your question regarding "for a new system ?" is kind of vague / general.

CapFusion,...

"AndyNoSpam" <andynospam@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

" is this a good card to buy for a new system? "

You need to do the following:

- List your total budget for the system
- List the components you have planned for the system
- Detail the useage that the system will undergo

....otherwise, 'how long is a piece of string?'

The message <2sp33sF1o6a6sU1@uni-berlin.de>
from "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> contains these words:

> "AndyNoSpam" <andynospam@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> " is this a good card to buy for a new system? "

> You need to do the following:

> - List your total budget for the system
> - List the components you have planned for the system
> - Detail the useage that the system will undergo

> ....otherwise, 'how long is a piece of string?'

My intended card is listed as a 246Mb Gainward FxUltra880 Tv-DVI/ AGP
8xDDR Fx5700
It will most likely be an OEM built machine from a supplier. Cant be
bothered to make my own.

How old is this card.?

My current system which is nearly 5 years old has a P3 500Mhz and 64mb
Geforce2 Mx400

My new system will most probably be something like this:

P4 3.0Ghz 800FSB
Intel motherboard
2x 512mb PC3200 Ram
80gb Serial ATA HD
windows XP Home Sp2

system will mainly be for word/excel/ email/ web browsing but will play
the odd game
like Max Payne 2 and Indiana Jones / Tomb Raider.

My system is not designed to be a very high end games machine.

Hope to spend somewhere like £900 inc vat at most

" My system is not designed to be a very high end games machine. Hope to
spend somewhere like £900 inc vat at most "

You can see from the following two articles that the FX5700 was a mid-range
card a year ago, and is now sliding down the heirarchy:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/

You say you're planning to get an OEM system, but is that from a
'box-shifter' like Time, Tiny, Dell or PC World? They may offer cheap
deals, but you are unlikely to find quality graphics cards in their systems.
They also use specific OEM operating system installations, with which you
can have problems upgrading. If you don't wish to build your own, then you
might benefit from shopping online for the parts, and then getting a
more-friendly local shop to build it for you.

Looking at your proposed spec, you should look at either a socket 775
Pentium system, or even a socket 939 Athlon64 system.

If I was building a system for your useage and budget, I would look towards
an Athlon64, which would give better gaming performance than an equivalent
Pentium4 system, as well as being cheaper. Currently there are two sockets
for Athlon64, socket 754 (skt-754) and socket 939 (skt-939).

You could build something with the following spec:

- EZ Cool EZ103H case http://snipurl.com/9ney £52.82
- Antec TruePower 430W http://snipurl.com/9nkq £58.32
- MSI K8N Neo Platinum skt-754 http://snipurl.com/9nja £79.84
- AMD Athlon64 3000+ skt-754 http://snipurl.com/9nil £111.72
- KingMax PC3500 2x 512MB http://snipurl.com/9nkm £136.05
- Seagate Barracuda 200GB 8MB SATA http://snipurl.com/9nk3 £78.94
- Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro http://snipurl.com/9njl £146.82
- Sony DRU700A Dual-Layer DVD+-RW http://snipurl.com/9nh7 £58.74
- Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM 52x32x52x16 http://snipurl.com/9nkf £28.15
- Windows XP Pro OEM http://snipurl.com/9nhc £59.93

TOTAL: £811.33

The above items are from differing online retailers, and the prices,
although including VAT, don't include delivery. You could get them all from
the same online retailer, paying slightly more in purchase price and less on
delivery. Either way, you could get this lot delivered for approximately
£850.00, before paying someone to put it all together.

If you wanted a system with maximum upgrade-potential, then I might advise
you to wait for a few things due to arrive soon. Currently, skt-939
processors are very expensive, but the skt-939 Athlon64 3000+ is on the
horizon ( http://snipurl.com/9ni1 ). Skt-939 PCI-Express (PCI-E)
motherboards are also on the way with the new Nforce4 chipsets, and the
PCI-E 6600GT is getting great reviews.

Skt-939 will have a stronger CPU roadmap, PCI-E will be further upgradeable
than AGP, and, unlike skt-754, skt-939 chipsets can take advantage of
dual-channel memory performance. By exchanging the following items in the
system I previously specified, you would pay an extra £100 or so, but it
should be well worth it.

- Skt-939 Nforce4 PCI-E motherboard (approx £100)
- AMD Athlon64 3000+ skt-939 (approx £125)
- GeForce 6600GT PCI-E (approx £200)

Cuzman wrote:

> "AndyNoSpam" <andynospam@zetnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> " is this a good card to buy for a new system? "

The short and simple answer is no .. Nvidia did not make a good card at
all in the 5xxx series. If you are stuck by price go to the ATI
equivalent (preferably a 9800 Pro) ... if not go for a Nvidia 6800 GT
or Ultra,

regards

@ndrew