video cards, burner

Hi All,

I need to build a couple machines for some friends.  Sure could use some
hardware advice.

For the first machine, I need a low-end graphics card in the range of
$50-$75 USD.  It must be rock-solid stable under Linux.  Would like to try
some alternatives to Nvidia.

In the second machine, looking for a mid-range card in the $125-$175 USD
range for Gaming, graphics, cad, etc.   It must be rock-solid stable under
Linux.  Would like to try some alternatives to Nvidia.

Lastly, need recommendations for a great burner.  Would like one that does
CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW.  It must be rock-solid stable
under Linux.

BTW, when you burn DVD's, what format do you use the most --  DVD+R, DVD+RW,
DVD-R, DVD-RW?

Any pointers would be majorily appreciated.

"Eric Weiss" <EricWeiss@bellsouth.org> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I need to build a couple machines for some friends. Sure could use some
> hardware advice.
>
> For the first machine, I need a low-end graphics card in the range of
> $50-$75 USD. It must be rock-solid stable under Linux. Would like to try
> some alternatives to Nvidia.

Ati 7000 series

> In the second machine, looking for a mid-range card in the $125-$175 USD
> range for Gaming, graphics, cad, etc. It must be rock-solid stable under
> Linux. Would like to try some alternatives to Nvidia.

Ati w9200

> Lastly, need recommendations for a great burner. Would like one that does
> CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW. It must be rock-solid stable
> under Linux.

Nec ND2500A same as Pioneer 107D but cheaper

> BTW, when you burn DVD's, what format do you use the most -- DVD+R,
> DVD+RW,
> DVD-R, DVD-RW?

-R, cheaper blanks, compatible with more players
If you flash the Nec or Pioneer with a hacked bios, will rip at full speed
and write most any blank 0R at 8x with good results

> Any pointers would be majorily appreciated.

For low end Video Card, I would prefer build in Video Card. I myself
thinkin of ASRock K7VM4 motherboard which has build in 64M shared
memory video card and they claim that this video card is one of the
best.. so I guess it worths the trial, but I do not know if you can
use an external Video Card with this MB!? I would check that mysself..
HTH

Eric Weiss wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to build a couple machines for some friends. Sure could use some
> hardware advice.
>
> For the first machine, I need a low-end graphics card in the range of
> $50-$75 USD. It must be rock-solid stable under Linux. Would like to try
> some alternatives to Nvidia.

How are Matrox under Linux? NVidia's linux support is better than
most/all. I'd go with an fx5200/128mb card, personally. You could always
have a look at SiS and their linux support. SiS Xabre200 based cards are
below that price range.

> In the second machine, looking for a mid-range card in the $125-$175 USD
> range for Gaming, graphics, cad, etc. It must be rock-solid stable under
> Linux. Would like to try some alternatives to Nvidia.

Stick with nVidia under linux. I'm never going ATi again, even for
windows! I run a mix of linux and windows OSes here. I'd be looking at
an NVidia 5900xt based card for a midrange card. They're at the upper
end of your price range, with starter models at $175. Good cards, though.

> Lastly, need recommendations for a great burner. Would like one that does
> CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW. It must be rock-solid stable
> under Linux.

I have a Pioneer 107D, but not on one of my linux boxen. With recent
price drops, I'm wishing I'd waited a few more weeks/months for the
retail version of this drive.

> BTW, when you burn DVD's, what format do you use the most -- DVD+R, DVD+RW,
> DVD-R, DVD-RW?

DVD-R

Eric Weiss wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to build a couple machines for some friends. Sure could use some
> hardware advice.
>
> For the first machine, I need a low-end graphics card in the range of
> $50-$75 USD. It must be rock-solid stable under Linux. Would like to try
> some alternatives to Nvidia.

Rock solid under Linux means Nvidia. Why do you want to try alternatives?

BarryNL wrote:

> Rock solid under Linux means Nvidia. Why do you want to try alternatives?

There were some recent problems with nvidia drivers not playing nice in
Linux. At that point, I realized all my machines and all the new ones I
was building - used Nvidia video. It's a case of not wanting to put all my
eggs in a basket.

I'm going to try some Asus Radeon cards on current projects....

What happened when you used the ATI card? Which model did you use?

Boppie