Question Video crashes and returns seconds later, no BSOD

May 3, 2023
Hello all, first thread here so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.

This issue started two months ago. Occasionally (3-5 times a week), I get full video crashes on my Windows 10 PC while gaming but the video returns about 20-30 seconds later. It's when I'm in the middle of the game, not when closing anything. I can't replicate the issue-- it seems to happen at random in-game.

Initially, my second monitor's video goes completely gray, then a few seconds later, my primary monitor artifacts for a brief moment, and then finally all video signal cuts out on both monitors. Since there is no full system crash, there is no BSOD, but here are two events that occur every time this happens.

When the video signal is lost:
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Resetting TDR occurred on GPUID:100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

When the video signal returns:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Here is what I've done so far in troubleshooting:

1. Rolled back graphics drivers.
2. Removed graphics drivers in DDU with safe mode and reinstalled graphics drivers to current version.
3. Ran SFC scan.
4. Ran DISM scan.
5. Performed MemTest.
6. Reseated graphics card.
7. Set Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance" (from Optimal Power) in Nvidia Control panel under "Manage 3D Settings."
8. Set Windows Power Plan to "High Performance" (from Balanced).
9. Disabled PCI Express\Link State Power Management in Windows Power Settings.
10. Updated chipset drivers.

My graphics card is a GTX 970 I've been running on since 2015. I know it's an old card but I'm not yet convinced this is a sign it's failing. Temps are still good with some modified fan speed curves and the games I mostly play aren't that demanding (primarily WoW and LoL at the moment).

I've done a -lot- of googling since this started and I'm nearing the point where I finally retire the card. I appreciate any feedback and I'm happy to lend more info if it's needed.

Thank you!

May 3, 2023
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
CPUIntel Core i7-10700K
MotherboardMSI Z490 MPG Gaming Edge (WiFi) Intel LGA 1200 ATX
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
MemoryCrucial Ballistix Gaming 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666
Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W
Storage 1Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD
Storage 2Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Storage 3HyperX 3K 2.5" 120GB

May 20, 2023
Hello all, first thread here so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.

This issue started two months ago. Occasionally (3-5 times a week), I get full video crashes on my Windows 10 PC while gaming but the video returns about 20-30 seconds later. It's when I'm in the middle of the game, not when closing anything. I can't replicate the issue-- it seems to happen at random in-game.

Initially, my second monitor's video goes completely gray, then a few seconds later, my primary monitor artifacts for a brief moment, and then finally all video signal cuts out on both monitors. Since there is no full system crash, there is no BSOD, but here are two events that occur every time this happens.

When the video signal is lost:
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Resetting TDR occurred on GPUID:100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

When the video signal returns:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Here is what I've done so far in troubleshooting:

1. Rolled back graphics drivers.
2. Removed graphics drivers in DDU with safe mode and reinstalled graphics drivers to current version.
3. Ran SFC scan.
4. Ran DISM scan.
5. Performed MemTest.
6. Reseated graphics card.
7. Set Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance" (from Optimal Power) in Nvidia Control panel under "Manage 3D Settings."
8. Set Windows Power Plan to "High Performance" (from Balanced).
9. Disabled PCI Express\Link State Power Management in Windows Power Settings.
10. Updated chipset drivers.

My graphics card is a GTX 970 I've been running on since 2015. I know it's an old card but I'm not yet convinced this is a sign it's failing. Temps are still good with some modified fan speed curves and the games I mostly play aren't that demanding (primarily WoW and LoL at the moment).

I've done a -lot- of googling since this started and I'm nearing the point where I finally retire the card. I appreciate any feedback and I'm happy to lend more info if it's needed.

Thank you!
I am having the same issue and I tried everything you did as well, still having the issue. What sucks is that mine is brand new computer and I haven't really enjoy it ....

May 3, 2023
I am having the same issue and I tried everything you did as well, still having the issue. What sucks is that mine is brand new computer and I haven't really enjoy it ....
Thanks for responding to this thread. I'm still occasionally getting the issue but I'm working on theory-- do you use Discord? And if so, do you have hardware acceleration enabled? You can find it in the Settings menu under "Advanced". I have Discord open all the time, and I've noticed the past couple occurrences that Discord was force-closed when the signal returned to the monitors. Did some reading and found that Discord hardware acceleration has caused issues with NVIDIA cards in recent months. I disabled Discord hardware acceleration a few days ago and haven't had the issue since. I don't know if this thread will get many views but I'll report back in a couple weeks if the issue appears resolved.

May 3, 2023
Better late than never, but here I am a month later and still having issues. Initially it seemed the Discord fix was the trick and things were smooth for a week or two, but now I'm suddenly at 2-3 crashes daily this week, worse than before.

Any help still is appreciated.