Question Video Crashes When Gaming

Jun 1, 2020
Hello. I'm having a new issue lately. :c
It doesn't matter what kind of game I'm playing on what settings, the video always crashes now and my fans go nuts.
The PC is still on, the sound is still going, and hell, even the game is still running. And I do get an error message, but you know...can't SEE it when I hear the audio cue for it.

I'm on the latest, clean installed version of NVidia's GeForce drivers for my 2070 and I'm totally up to date on Windows 10. I don't get it. I think I remember having this problem once before, but fixed it with a motherboard driver update (that I stupidly didn't install from the start). But that was a year ago when I first built this computer. It's only when I play any game that isn't like...Gameboy Advance emulators.

Ehot

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
Hey man, i actually have the same issue, the temporary fix i found is to downclock my GPU by 5%, but i know it's not a real solution, but this may help you to play your games the time we find something to entirely fix the problem. Tell me if it works for you to downclock by 5%.

Jun 1, 2020
Hey man, i actually have the same issue, the temporary fix i found is to downclock my GPU by 5%, but i know it's not a real solution, but this may help you to play your games the time we find something to entirely fix the problem. Tell me if it works for you to downclock by 5%.

You have a 2070 as well?
I don't know how to safely adjust clock speeds. I'm not that advanced yet. :c

Ehot

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
No i have an RX590 so i use Radeon Software, but i think you can change clock speed which with the software of your manufacturer or with things like MSI Afterburner, but watchout bad settings could result in win10 crash
So, when you go in MSI Afterburner, on in the middle it's wrote Core clock (Mhz) and you can adjust, what it is wrote here ? You have percentage or a number like 1600 ?
(Sorry for my bad english)

Ehot

Prominent
Apr 18, 2020
Erhh, this problem is really weird, because clock speed reduction work for me, for now but that's not really a solution. And so i would really like to know where the issue come from, like i heard about VRMs that could be broken or something like that (Because your issue if from the begining, or it's since a moment ? ) Also i think i'll replace my thermal paste on the GPU

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020
New problem. When I restart or shutdown the PC, it usually takes multiple attempts to get a picture and audio again.
I tried a number of things.
I checked the voltage and stress tested my PSU and GPU in OCCT
I monitored AfterBurner for any massive, unusual temp spikes before the video died.
Checked Event Viewer and found a Kernal Power error that I've been trying to narrow down.
I manually uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers.

If anything, the crashing comes faster now. I'm at a loss.

Mar 27, 2020
I had a similar problem long ago, not quite the exact same one though. I solved it by updating my integrated Intel GPU driver. Maybe try this and see if it helps?