[SOLVED] Video cuts out and fans get loud, please help!

Feb 17, 2021
I've been having a problem for the past few months where my GPU will suddenly stop sending a signal to my monitors and the fans will get very loud whenever I play certain games. I can still do things in the game and I can still hear and talk to my friends. So far, it has happened with Fallout 3, Civ 5, Far Cry 5, Raft, Ark, Rust, Magicka, SWTOR, and No Man's Sky. It's not a temp issue and it has nothing to do with load because it can handle games like Subnautica, Fallout 4, Hitman, Payday 2, or Squadrons. I have the latest drivers and have tried using old drivers, and I've moved my GPU around and checked all cables and everything is attached just fine. Please help!

Solution
Look in the Windows log and see if there's any errors. (Id assume it would be a critical error) If there is send us the error code and we can see what usually causes it. Id also suggest stress testing your ram and cpu just for good measure (running a full 4 passes of memtest) in case that's the problem. You should also update your BIOS and chipset drivers in case that's causing the problem. (Basically just do the usual make sure everything is up to date yadda yadda yadda.) If all that checks out, it could be a PSU problem. Have you had this problem since you bought/built the PC or is it a newer problem?
Nov 13, 2020
hi there,

first of all what type of GPU is it? also have you monitored your temps whilst in-game, if so what temps are you getting? it sounds like your GPU could be thermal throttling or even could just have a faulty cable. the worst outcome would be either the GPU is faulty or the monitor is.

Feb 17, 2021
hi there,

first of all what type of GPU is it? also have you monitored your temps whilst in-game, if so what temps are you getting? it sounds like your GPU could be thermal throttling or even could just have a faulty cable. the worst outcome would be either the GPU is faulty or the monitor is.
I have an Asus Dual OC RTX 2060. The temps never go higher than 140 Fahrenheit.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Have you tried a clean install of your graphics drivers? Also like not_muffin said you may have a faulty cable, try using a different one and see if the problem persists. Definitely stress test your GPU with furmark to see if this problem occurs (I'd suggest you run for an hour or two to be completely sure). If it crashes that means its probably a universal problem not just limited to an admittedly incredibly large amount of games. Provided it crashes, I would suggest turning your monitors refresh rate down and then running furmark again for the same amount of time. If it crashes with the refresh rate down I believe that would point to a GPU problem, if it doesn't then I'd assume that something is wrong with your monitor causing it to crash when run at a high fps. (The best way to check if faulty monitor would be to plug your PC into another monitor or a TV and see if crashes in Furmark but you can try this alternative method if you do not have another monitor and/or TV.)

Feb 17, 2021
Have you tried a clean install of your graphics drivers? Also like not_muffin said you may have a faulty cable, try using a different one and see if the problem persists. Definitely stress test your GPU with furmark to see if this problem occurs (I'd suggest you run for an hour or two to be completely sure). If it crashes that means its probably a universal problem not just limited to an admittedly incredibly large amount of games. Provided it crashes, I would suggest turning your monitors refresh rate down and then running furmark again for the same amount of time. If it crashes with the refresh rate down I believe that would point to a GPU problem, if it doesn't then I'd assume that something is wrong with your monitor causing it to crash when run at a high fps. (The best way to check if faulty monitor would be to plug your PC into another monitor or a TV and see if crashes in Furmark but you can try this alternative method if you do not have another monitor and/or TV.)
I’ve run stress tests before and nothing went wrong, and it was able to go about 2 hours. I’ve tried clean installs of old and new drivers and that hasn’t solved any problem. I’ll try using a new PSU cable though.

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Look in the Windows log and see if there's any errors. (Id assume it would be a critical error) If there is send us the error code and we can see what usually causes it. Id also suggest stress testing your ram and cpu just for good measure (running a full 4 passes of memtest) in case that's the problem. You should also update your BIOS and chipset drivers in case that's causing the problem. (Basically just do the usual make sure everything is up to date yadda yadda yadda.) If all that checks out, it could be a PSU problem. Have you had this problem since you bought/built the PC or is it a newer problem?

Solution
Feb 17, 2021
It started about two weeks after I built it when I was playing fallout 3