Question Video Display Crashes along with software freezing

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Lately been having some very sporadic issues while playing Runescape and running Youtube all day. Around 6 hrs into my day, I will have my system lock up, sometimes the screen goes black, Runelite (Runescape client) will typically crash out, Chrome become unresponsive/blank, my Steam app has to be restarted as all windows become blacked out, but not all my software is effected by this issue.

I've received the following errors:
aYuyD0q.png

TfkoX1f.png

bKJT7VQ.jpg

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
what the ram usage?

CPU:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Matisse, MTS-B0)
3600 MHz (36.00x100.0) @ 4067 MHz (40.75x99.8)

Motherboard:
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)

BIOS:
3001, 12/04/2020

Chipset:
AMD X570 (Bixby)

Memory:
16384 MBytes @ 1597 MHz, 22-22-22-53
  • 8192 MB PC16500 DDR4 SDRAM - G Skill F4-3200C16-8GVKB
  • 8192 MB PC16500 DDR4 SDRAM - G Skill F4-3200C16-8GVKB
Utilization is at 6/16GB while doing what I was previously doing when the issue occurred.

GPU:
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (MSI)

PSU:
Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Re upping this post. Still having the same issue every day after almost 6-7 hrs of running my PC consistently. New errors and lately no error message at all, just display crash and any software that carries a load (Chorme, Games, Discord, Steam) will crash as well.

View: https://imgur.com/a/eNH8TfB

I've uninstalled the Armoury Crate as that was the primary crash notification that would pop up. I've done all the things I can find on google (chkdisk, sfc /scannow, memory diagnostic, etc.) and it hasn't solved anything. Not sure where to go from here without a complete system reinstall, which I would like to avoid.

Last edited:

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
aisuite3 is also from asus.

I've uninstalled all ASUS software and it took a few days, but I had another weird crash. This time, no errors, my display just went black (I was on 2nd screen only). When i switch my display back to Primary screen (using Win + P blindly) I got my display back for a few seconds and noticed that Chrome was frozen and white while the Runelite client I had open was black and frozen then both displays when black again. I couldn't get my displays to show my desktop, i tried unplugging them, blindly pressing Win+ P, CTRLALTDELETE, but no luck. I didn't want to system restart as I was hoping I would get an error message. After about 5 minutes my desktop returns to my display, Runelite has closed itself, and Chrome is still frozen w/ all white and requires a forced restart.

I really don't know what is going on, I've never had issues like this.

My top three suspicions:

1: RAM fault - Could cause the problems you are seeing, though I'd expect to see BSODs pop up
2: GPU Driver fault - Could be a bad GPU driver update; only really applies if you've updated the GPU driver recently
3: GPU HW fault - Possible, but I'd expect more catastrophic problems if the GPU HW itself was failing.

The easiest one to diagnose would be RAM; download/run memtest86+ to a USB stick/CD and see if it flags any problems.

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
My top three suspicions:

1: RAM fault - Could cause the problems you are seeing, though I'd expect to see BSODs pop up
2: GPU Driver fault - Could be a bad GPU driver update; only really applies if you've updated the GPU driver recently
3: GPU HW fault - Possible, but I'd expect more catastrophic problems if the GPU HW itself was failing.

The easiest one to diagnose would be RAM; download/run memtest86+ to a USB stick/CD and see if it flags any problems.

Had about a month of no issues after removing everything Asus related, and then the last 4 days have had the same unexpected crashes (had 3 while having Runelite.exe and Chrome open throughout the day and one with just Chrome open in the middle of the night). One of the times everything went black and my PC restarted.

I ran memtest86+ and had 0 errors. Memory seems to be fine. Going to completely uninstall my GPU drivers and try an old, reliable driver and see how that goes.

I'm really hoping that it's not GPU HW related as I have a brand new 3060TI, but it wouldn't be that unheard of if it was the case.